Some people

Outdoormom

We were camping by these 2 couples. They were dragging dead trees out of the woods, and cutting down young trees (which really made me mad). They had their campfire roaring. It was so big and it was windy out. They thought it was funny to watch the sparks fly off of it.

I was scared to go to sleep that night for fear my tent would catch on fire.

What would have you done? Would you have said anything to them?

Last edited:

Fishing

I am sure if you contacted your local forestry unit they could let you know if cutting of the trees is legal or not. Some places allow it and others forbid it. I would have went over and told them the consequences they could be facing if they didn't let it die down.

Chris

If you were in a park, you could have called the rangers. That's what I would have done. Their thoughtlessness could have caused a tragedy! Fire is not something to play with especially at this time of the year when things are getting drier.

outdoorgirl

I would have been worried. I hate when sparks come off of our fire. I always worry it is going to catch our tent on fire. Sparks can travel pretty far. Especially if there are burning leaves being carried up into the air.

campclose

For one, I wouldn't camp with them again and I would probably have been so mad I would have left. Fire safety is very important. People should not be cutting down trees that are alive in parks anyway.

Georgie

I would have gone over and probably dumped water on their fire..lol I am like that though. I can't stand people who just do not have the smarts in the woods.

Abbey

People like that are simply infuriating. Why bother going camping in the first place if you have no respect for nature? I probably would have had to say something to them. I find it difficult to keep my mouth shut when I get really mad, lol.

Outdoormom

These people were not with us. We had been camping for a few days and then they came down by where we were camping. They really were not prepared at all. Then they were throwing the trees into the fire with the leaves on them still. They were sparking up into the air and blowing whatever way the wind was going.

They just weren't made for the woods.

Gondor

Yeah big deal about those bozos! I would yell at them so hard their ears would fall off. You can't win with stupid people unless you level with them. That's the only cure for such types!

failghe

I always get very angry with people like that but am told not to say anything, because it may start a fight. So I usually let the ranger know when we see them. It helps to be nice to the rangers. :)
People like that don't camp very often, sometimes just a one time thing. Thank goodness. Those same people are the ones who throw trash and cigarettes out the car window and say how dirty the place looks.

tentwolfette

I've encountered some of that kind but a little dif. these peeps were trying to find a place to unload there household garb.this was in a primative campsite so they thought they got away with it but they got caught only because they had papers in there with their name and address in it.Talked to the ranger he was waiting for the state popo to go to their home to back him up.they were to get a big fine.up state ny you are not allowed to cut down any standing timber even if it is standing and dead any downed timber is free for the pickens.ny state you not even allowed to carry your wood unless it is within a 50 mile radius.that is why we prefer a primative site first you dont pay for your site second you really most of the timedont have to deal with uneducated peeps.

firefly

I agree that telling the park Ranger is best. If you confront these people yourself it could get ugly. I love campfires but we only use the dead limbs. I also worry about the sparks starting a fire.

Pebbles

I agree that telling the park Ranger is best. If you confront these people yourself it could get ugly. I love campfires but we only use the dead limbs. I also worry about the sparks starting a fire.
Yes, you never know how someone might react or do, so I would also say it's wise just to find or call a ranger. It's a shame that people can be that ignorant.

drake

Same with me, if I were you I'd call a ranger to take care of those hard-headed couple. If they don't know what they're doing, they could start a big fire.

Lovefall

I would suggest the park ranger too, or even call the park and let them know what is going on. That is just sick! Makes me mad that some people are so disgusting!