South Carolina boys dies from brain infection?

campclose

I must live under a rock because it's the first I've heard of anything like this. How can the water temps be too warm and people get brain infections from some amoeba from swimming in these "too warm" waters? What are you supposed to do - take a thermometer with you when you go to a lake/ocean etc.?

jason

fear no beer
My friend had a bad fall from a barn when he was young. For some reason that fall has caused his body to run a higher then normal temperature. So when it comes to things like hot tubs he cannot stay in long if he goes in at all. I always thought it was interesting.

wvbreamfisherman

The variability among people is amazing. As a firefighter/EMT, I saw people die in wrecks that should have barely caused a scratch, and people live through horiffic injuries and walk out of the hospital.

You just never know.

Grandpa

As pointed out in other threads about this little brain eater, it happens so proportionately seldom that panic or even urgency is not required. An awareness of the possibility and simple precautions should suffice. We started teaching awareness of this to the grandkids back when we first heard of it. I enjoy visiting back country hot springs so I heard about this several years ago.

I wonder how long it really has been around and the doctors chalked the occasional death up to some other cause.

carmen

That is quite sad and I have heard the no swimming in warm waters deal before but never fully understood it until now. Isn't Sumter County the same place that the little girl went missing this week, kidnapped by her mother?

Boboque

I've heard that several people have died from the ameoba infections that had used the Neti pot for washing out the sinuses. The doctor I see tells me to use water that has been boiled or use water purchased that has been processed to eliminate bacteria and other nasty things. I don't like things that want to eat my brain including ameoba and people who spaz out on drugs.

campclose

I have never heard about the Neti-pot and brain infections. Thanks for posting the link. I actually saw the story on The Weather Channel. So to be safer you should wear a nose clip. This actually makes sense. I hate getting salt water up my nose.

Ventura

Is it me, or does it seem that these types of infections keep happening much more frequently? Or maybe it is because we live in such a media obsessed world. Regardless, this type of information scares the heck out of me!

carmen

The Neti pot, really? I ordered something a few weeks ago similar to it but its a bottle but I am guessing if the pot is not a good thing then neither is the bottle. I heard years ago about someone swimming in a warm pond and he ended up getting a skin reaction from it. It ended up being contagious I guess because his kids (and their own too) have similar problems, dry itchy skin but only in certain areas.

CozInCowtown

A clean Neti pot is fine, same with swimming in 99.983% of public places, natural and man made.
I use the same tap water I drink, cook and bathe with in mine.
If it is safe to drink, put in your food and pour completely over your body then why would it be unsafe for a Neti pot?
Pay attention to your surroundings, don't swim in dirty water, don't eat the yellow snow and under no circumstances take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time.
The odds are you will be fine.
JMO,
Coz

Last edited:

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
The variability among people is amazing. As a firefighter/EMT, I saw people die in wrecks that should have barely caused a scratch, and people live through horiffic injuries and walk out of the hospital.

You just never know.
QFT, everyone is put together slightly different.

Marshmallow

The same thing happened in Florida a few months ago, I think, or something similar. We've already decided not to let our children swim in some places around here. While I think the odds are incredibly small, some of these places aren't safe anyway.

IndianaHiker

The Neti Pot problem is solved by using distilled water. Most of the pots that I have seen recommend this. The treatment that you tap water has can not destroy everything that might be there. The Neti Pots create a situation that can allow more things into the body as they are absorbed via mucus membranes. This means that water that is safe for drinking may not be safe for this use as the water is not going through the stomach before entering the blood stream.

As far as the Amoeba is found more prevalent in warmer waters as it provides a more hospital environment. There were a few deaths from this last summer in areas like Texas and Florida if I am remembering correctly. With the warmer than normal temps in the south and mid-west wouldn't not be surprised if there are a few more deaths. Not sure that this is happening more or that technology has gotten better and they infection is detected more often now. Very possible that in the past these were not diagnosed correctly.