Squirrel Stew

Snuggles

When I was a kid I remember mom making squirrel stew. I also remember it was pretty good. We are over run with squirrels this year. I'm thinking about revisiting my childhood. :)

jason

fear no beer
My friend says they are good. The problem is where you get them. He is more then happy to eat them from the wild but in urban environments he will not. You do not know who is poisoning them, and with what. Depending on the poison it may not even work or can take a while for it work.

fishbills

I know people in the backwoods of Texas who shoot and cook squirrels. I think it is high in protein. That's the only positive thing I can say about the topic. I wouldn't dare eat squirrel soup. Disgusting.

I know Brunswick stew isn't supposed to be Brunswick stew unless it's made with squirrel or rabbit, but I've only ever had it with pork. I don't know if I'd like it any other way!

Marlowe

We used to hunt squirrels when I was a kid and my Aunt and Uncle them. They called it Burgoo, and it was a pretty good stew. Somewhere I heard you could get something similar to mad cow disease from eating squirrel brains. I'll stick to bacon. :)