Survival Bracelets

Milly

I am not sure about where you live, but everyone here seems to have jumped on to the survival bracelet bandwagon. I like the look of the bracelets made out of paracord, but would the amount of paracord used to make it even help you out? I was thinking you might need quite a bit more. What length of paracord do you need, to make the bracelet even semi useful?

Grandpa

I am not sure about where you live, but everyone here seems to have jumped on to the survival bracelet bandwagon. I like the look of the bracelets made out of paracord, but would the amount of paracord used to make it even help you out? I was thinking you might need quite a bit more. What length of paracord do you need, to make the bracelet even semi useful?
I don't know how much paracord goes into a bracelet but a 50 ft length for my "bear rope" is much more convenient as it is used at every campsite. I can stand to hack quite a few excess feet of cord from that when necessary and still make it work for hoisting the food. When I go to the sandstone canyons, I tie on a 100 ft length of 1/2" rope as well. I'd sure hate to have a piece of paracord tied around my chest while they tried to lift me back up or down off some ledge. Even wrapped with a jacket or shirt, it would cut into my fragile fat body pretty deep.

wvbreamfisherman

Hmmm I hope the young lady in the duct tape catsuit doubled the duct tape so the sticky side was covered or it's going to be mighty uncomfortable getting out of it!

oldsarge

They look cool but after a while are uncomfortable as hell. I made a watch band out of para cord, everyone thought it was great, now I'm looking for a new watch band. I'd rather wrap the para coed around a sheath, hiking pole or just stow it somewhere other than on my wrist. In the military we used it for boot laces (still do). If need be you can pull out the inner strands and still use the outer part for lacing. This gives you 7 inner strands to work with. I think the whole survival bracelet is a joke.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
I make survival bracelets with about 18ft of paracord but mine are quite thick. Instead of doing a Cobra Weave I double it up and make a King Cobra Knot. My next set of bracelets will have a FireSteel rod and Metal striker blade build into it. As well as a Jute Twine Tinder bundle in it.

jason

fear no beer
I couldn't do it. I have enough problems with rings, let alone something on my wrist. I honestly have not looked at others wrists, but I can imagine it is like the carabiners as a keychain, or all the salt life decals on vehicles here.

But to each their own. If it makes them happy, and it harms none, let them go at it.

bsmit212

Most how to's online say to have about 10 feet of paracord. use about 2 for the middle band (adjust accordingly for wrist size) and then the rest wrapped around that. I have seen several people who just wear them around everyday (like to the office and shoping)and I couldnt do that. But I do wear one when out hiking. Its not a lot of paracord but in a emergency situation when you lose everything else, it is better than nothing. I still care a much longer length in my pack though.

Pathfinder1

I couldn't do it. I have enough problems with rings, let alone something on my wrist. I honestly have not looked at others wrists, but I can imagine it is like the carabiners as a keychain, or all the salt life decals on vehicles here.

But to each their own. If it makes them happy, and it harms none, let them go at it.

Hi...

What's a "Salt Life" decal?

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Hi...

Uh oh...I don't wear a survival bracelet. Does that mean I won't survive?

Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg...!!

haha. Nice

Yes, you will die if your not wearing your survival bracelet. Lol.j/k

Us humans have managed to stay around for thousands of years with little or no tools until the past 3 thousand years. But If we get lost in the woods for more than 5 minutes we start to panic now days. lol...
Thus is the reason for my signature below.

oldsarge

haha. Nice

Yes, you will die if your not wearing your survival bracelet. Lol.j/k

Us humans have managed to stay around for thousands of years with little or no tools until the past 3 thousand years. But If we get lost in the woods for more than 5 minutes we start to panic now days. lol...
Thus is the reason for my signature below.
Good point! It all started when that first caveman picked up a femur bone from another animal and beat something to meet his needs. All the others looked at him and said "I gotta get one of those", it's been a constant struggle to keep up ever since.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob

Agreed. An' it harm none, do what thou wilt, a friend used to say.

I know a lot of people that wear the paracord bracelet or the paracord glasses holder. Not sure why, they live and work in urban areas. I can't stand watches any more, they drive me nuts, so I really don't want a cord wristband.
I do keep some paracord in my pack. I have some thin stuff that's my hammock rainfly rigging (about 30 feet) and some classic seven strand stuff (about fifty feet) that's for bear bagging or whatnot. Its Barney-the-dinosaur purple so it's easy to see if I drop it somewhere.
I thought about looping it through some carabiners on the daisy chain outside my pack, but worry it will get caught on stuff. if it follows the rules for most other rope, no matter how you store it, when you really need it, it will be all tangled up anyway.

Milly

That duct tape suit was highly disturbing! I figured that most people wearing survival bracelets could not even tell you what they would do with it. If it was a survival case for those people they would probably panic, try calling out on a useless cell phone, and then get into the floor in a fetal position and cry. I was thinking, wouldn't the salt and sweat from your skin eventually break down the bracelet, making it useless?

danny28

I don't wear one and they are not "big" around here. I don't see others wearing them either. I can't imagine they would be very helpful "surviving" out in the elements. I do love the idea of using the para cord as shoelaces though.

Barney

I like to wear these bracelets but up till now I used them only as a fashion detail. I wonder how useful that 8-9 feet of rope would actually be?

IndianaHiker

I like mine but I wear it as I like the look of it. It has 15 feet of card in it. However if I need cord I am going to reach into my pack to damn lazy to fit with undoing that bracelet.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

If you ever found yourself a wilderness survival situation, the paracord in the bracelet could be most helpful in the preparation of a makeshift shelter. Or for snare making. Or for a fishing line. Or for a bow drill. Or for fashioning a make-shift splint. Or for a tournequet. Ad infinitim.