Survival problems...??

ppine

Forester
Chasing deer in the winter and not paying attention to the time. It got dark and a blizzard started. I had a match safe and built a fire, but it was still uncomfortable.

Many other circumstances working outdoors when the weather turned unseasonablly cold. I hate wind and rain in the 30s. Sometimes a trash bag over the torso makes a big difference. I carry more clothers especially in the mountains than I did when I was younger.

Grandpa

In any situation, there is always something that would make life a little better. But I'm not going to haul a bunch of stuff around just waiting for a situation to use it. What I carry is sufficient to get me home again. I don't need a little caviar to make the trip nicer.

Michael

Sometimes I forget to pack extra socks. One of the times I did that, I ended up totally soaking my foot when I slipped while crossing a stream. One leg went totally underwater up to my knee. And I had to get home with my foot soaking wet, which sucked.

Now I just keep a pair of wool socks in the bottom of all my backpacks. They just live there in case I need them. Ironically, I haven't needed extra socks a single time since doing this.

Barney

It sounds ridiculous but I loose my sunglasses all the time which is a big issue since sun is bothering my eyes very much. So I bough a good cord retainer to keep them in place.

Gondor

I'm always improving my skills, learning and adopting new gear and getting rid of the gear I don't need. I find that my system is becoming lighter over the years.

Mudder

Survival? -- Not much so, since I've never really gone extreme with camping or outdoors though.

But...

1) When I was about 12, I got lost in the very large city park on my mountain bike. I was lost for about 4 hours with no sense of direction. I finally decided to just go STRAIGHT since I knew I'd end up in somebody's backyard eventually, which I actually did. Wasn't a huge deal, but scary for a 12 year old at dusk.

2) I really want to get a right-to-carry permit and carry a powder burning handgun while camping someday.

3) I saved an 11-yr old boy who wasn't wearing his life jacket. He was hanging out by a raft that was tied to another raft that was on a sandbar on the river. He was knee deep in the water and took his vest off. I then see him lose grip, so I had no choice but to go after him. I didn't even put my vest back on -- I ran and swam after him. I didn't even think twice. By the time I caught him, we were 50 yrds downstream. Grabbed him and immediately started swimming towards the bank and towards where he came from. That event ended on a good note.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Hmm..Well I have had plenty of times where I wish my gear was a better grade but because of a lack of funds I have to make due with what I have. Shoes being #1. I have made several mistakes in the past on choice of hiking shoes/boots. From now on I use Lightweight Hiking shoes and just keep my pack weight under 30lbs. Been happy ever since.

CozInCowtown

I didn't serve that time, I was after the paychecks.
Desert Shield & Storm along with Just Cause was for God and Country, OIF and OEF were for me.
Most survival situations are a pass/fail situation.
DC

oldsarge

I didn't serve that time, I was after the paychecks.
Desert Shield & Storm along with Just Cause was for God and Country, OIF and OEF were for me.
Most survival situations are a pass/fail situation.
DC
Doesn't matter. Still put yourself on the line!!!