Survivalist missing in northern Alaska

oldsarge

CozInCowtown

I would no more wander into Alaskan wilderness than you Yankies would wander into our swamps. Every once and a while some one does though, and I aint sure i feel sory for them. Bear food, and Gater Bait is da same thing. STUPID.

It all taste like chicken!!
:thank_you2:

ppine

Forester
I was working with a wildlife biologist once in Wyo that had spent 8 years in Kotzebue up on the Beaufort Sea. We had a spring storm in March with 40 mph winds, sleet and horizontal snow. I had the truck and went looking for Archie. I found him hunkered down in a stone guard shack about 12 square feet in size. He had a fire going with lath grade stakes, and was eating some beef jerky. He had a big grin on his face, and I knew right then that Archie was a guy I could depend on in the field. He later went on to become famous in wildlife circles for pioneering the field insertion of heart rate monitors in antelope. He would catch them with a net, use anesthesia and operate and sew them up out in the middle of the sagebrush.

The other thing I remember about Archie was that he liked to play chess. On cold Wyo nights when ice formed on the inside of the windows, we would stay up and drink vodka, play chess and tell stories. It was like "Doctor Zhivago."

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

No updates, but a different perspective from someone who met him...

Seth Kantner: Swallowed by the Great Land | Living | ADN.com
Interesting article. Not sure it really changes my (uninformed) opinion of him and the school. About the only assessment of his skills is that he was "competent" .

Maybe so- even competent people with little to no experience in new areas sometimes don't make it.

I don't know a lot about that area, but some people I know with Alaskan experience tell me that there's not much margin for error there.

A personal tragedy, most likely.

pauldude000

Either he is dead (likely), very lost (possible), very injured (likely, but see first point) or doesn't want to be found (possible).

pauldude000

No update but there was another good article in the Alaska Dispatch back in December...by the same author but less critical of Seibold:

Slim chance of finding Seibold alive fades as Alaska's bitter winter descends | Alaska Dispatch
If he didn't make it out by winter, in Alaska?

Ouch. It is possible. Highly unlikely, but possible. Just for food he would have had no choice but eventually head for the coast. Just the thought sends a shiver up my spine. On foot, in an Alaskan winter, with limited supplies.

Good way to not wake up when your shelter is buried by several feet of snow.

Last edited: