Taking Pets

OutdoorMomma

How many of you take your pets with you when you camp? I don't, but my dog is 200 pounds, over 6 feet tall when he stands on his hind legs and doesn't like the car. My cousins take their horses, but they spend most of the summer at a horse camp, and a couple of their dogs. When we went with the last time, someone at the horse camp had brought their cat and had it on a leash and a tie out line like it was a dog. Craziest thing I have seen in a while.

ppine

Forester
Taking three dogs everywhere is one of my greatest joys in life.
I take them to parades, to the home improvement store, on canoe trips, fishing from the powerboat, to my parents fancy house, and especially camping. As a retired person, I really don't like to go many places that dogs aren't welcome.

bsmit212

I have always taken mine camping. We just got a new one that we have not taken yet. My first pup will stay right by my side and I realy use organized campgrounds so I can leave her off the leash. The new one is not there yet. Working hard to get him there though. When in camp till said date we will just put him on a run between two trees near where we are sitting. or on a leash with us

Hikenhunter

I take mine backpacking. He carries his own supplies in his own backpack. I rarely take him to organized campgrounds because there are always places he isn't allowed to go like swimming areas, and that keeps me from being able to go there as well.

ppine

Forester
The more you take dogs with you the better they get. Homeless people are some of the great dog trainers, because they are always with their dogs.

Our dogs never stay in a kennel.

Last edited:

Grandpa

My old faithful friend has traveled many miles with me but the miles are becoming very difficult for him now. I would hate to see Tank's disappointment if I was to start taking a pup hiking and leaving my old friend behind. Guess I'll just have to wait until his race is over before I get another faithful friend.

Judy Ann

Abby (my Avatar) is my old dog and has been the best companion on many trips. Like Grandpa's Lab, she is getting older, becoming deaf and blind, but there is no way that she would ever stay behind on a trip so we aren't backpacking these days. She enjoys the beach and chilling by a fire at night, bits of whatever has been cooking on the grill, and easy trails for walking. She has given me so much pleasure that I just want to make her as happy as she can be and go at a pace that is good for her. I'm thinking about getting a bike and a trailer like the kids ride in so we can see more or at least a jogging stroller. Get her around the big pups at the beach and she reverts back to her younger days chasing after them! :-(

campclose

I don't take my pets camping. I don't want to have to deal with other people and my dogs. We do take them when we camp in the woods just not to the campgrounds.

OutdoorMomma

I imagine, if I still had my smaller dog, she would probably go with us when we camped, but like I said, the beast we have now is just too big and unpredictable. It'd be nice to actually take him, but he's a handful. Just taking him to the vet is an adventure.

Hikenhunter

I imagine, if I still had my smaller dog, she would probably go with us when we camped, but like I said, the beast we have now is just too big and unpredictable. It'd be nice to actually take him, but he's a handful. Just taking him to the vet is an adventure.
That is great OutdoorMomma. Knowing your, and your pets limitations and leaving them at home when it is best for all is something too many people do not do. I love a well trained dog and I understand dogs better than I understand most people, but I have been overwelmed by people who think their dog has more rights than the people they encounter in their travels. Unruly dogs, dogs that are hard to handle and dogs that are not well trained should stay at home and should not be allowed to ruin others (including their owners.) outings.

Greatoutdoors

I would love to take my dog camping with us but I don't think that she would enjoy it. New surroundings tend to make her anxious and because she is a large pit bull others tend to be nervous around her which just makes it worse.

I know we should have socialized her more as a puppy but we didn't have the money to go anywhere then! ;)

ppine

Forester
Greatoutdoors,
If your dog is nervous around new places there is a simple solution. Take her to lots of new places. Most dog problems are really dog owner problems. She is nervous because you are nervous.

edit-
Dogs are pack animals. Once they become part of your pack they want to go everytwhere with you, even if it is cold or hot weather.
I will be taking my dogs to Elko for the poetry festival in January. It will be cold in the truck during the day but they will have what they need to stay warm. They will be indoors at night in case it is below zero. If they could talk they would all say- "sure Dad, we want to go even if it is going to be cold."

Having a dog should never be an inconvenience. Train them to have manners. The best way to do that is take them everywhere. Most dogs are neglected and under-exercised.

Last edited:

mccallum

ours go. my lab mix hikes with me and walks in our small community off lead. The camp grounds they are to be on lead but he stays with me so well I usually do not worry about it.

frank6160

I don't mind pets if they are QUIET!!!! Hate those yapping mutts! I know it's in them to do it but it can be controlled or they shold be left at home! Oh and most owners don't clean up behind thier pets. That really gets me. Go to set up tent and find that Fifi has left a present for you(actually the owner left it).

ppine

Forester
Dogs that have trouble going to the vet, or can't go camping need a lot of work in my opinion. They need more exercise, they need to learn to walk on a leash, and to be patient. They need to learn to be quiet.

Dogs that can't do these things are often dominant in their household and run the family. It is supposed to be the other way around. Think objectively if any of this applies to your dog.

ppine

Forester
If you don't take your dog camping what do you do for fun? Camping has it all, swimming, hiking,chasing balls and sticks, living outside, seeing animals, meeting new people. Dogs and camping were made for each other. I am taking my 16 yo Border Collie canoeing next week.

My border collie can play chess, but she can't beat me.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Dogs that have trouble going to the vet, or can't go camping need a lot of work in my opinion. They need more exercise, they need to learn to walk on a leash, and to be patient. They need to learn to be quiet.

Dogs that can't do these things are often dominant in their household and run the family. It is supposed to be the other way around. Think objectively if any of this applies to your dog.
Tank rules this family with a soft paw. He sleeps where he wants, eats when he wants, but he opens his own doors and he takes me camping. He makes me wait in line when the grandkids come. He claims first hugs. He does keep his yapper shut except when he sleeps but when he sleeps, his snoring rattles the rafters.

SusieQ

We always take our dog, she is a Lab. She is part of the family. We only go to pet-friendly campgrounds. There are always other dogs around. My baby would never hurt a fly. She loves to go on walks and she even sleeps in the camper (with the kids).

Taipan

The guys are right, it's all about how much time you spend with them. We used to have a Golden that went everywhere with us and if a place didn't like dogs we just didn't go there. Motels, campgrounds, cookouts, everywhere. Ol' Brownie was such a member of the family she even understood my facial expressions, and acted accordingly. A good friend used to tell me: If that dog could talk, she could finish your sentences.

fishbills

How many of you take your pets with you when you camp? I don't, but my dog is 200 pounds, over 6 feet tall when he stands on his hind legs and doesn't like the car. My cousins take their horses, but they spend most of the summer at a horse camp, and a couple of their dogs. When we went with the last time, someone at the horse camp had brought their cat and had it on a leash and a tie out line like it was a dog. Craziest thing I have seen in a while.
What breed of dog do you have? Our newfoundland gets right into the hatchback and loves it. We've taken her on a few hiking trips. The only annoying aspect is her barking in the middle of the night. She gets irritated by any movement around our base camp.