Tampa fishing report 9/18

Marlowe

We've been fishing around Tampa Bay and Sarasota the last week and it's been great. We've been hooking mangrove snapper and trout and one morning got our limit on redfish. Snook are biting but no keepers yet. The daily monsoon downpours can start at any time, so glad I brought the laptop!

Taipan

That's a nice place to fish and a good place to visit this time of year. The tourists and snowbirds aren't there yet and fishing picks up after the summer heat starts to break. As long as you don't mind the rain, mosquitos, no see-ums, humidity, and palmetto bugs. Oh yeah, and the prettiest beaches I've ever seen.

Marlowe

Oh man, Cappy, that's awesome! Good recipe, website and photos. Thanks for sharing. Y'all sure know how to eat down there. The place we're staying has grills, so we did ours with butter & lemon, Old Bay and some with Greek Ya-Ya seasoning. Pretty simple, but fresh redfish filets are one of my favorites. We did some of the trout under the broiler with Lemon butter and white wine.

Marlowe

Well, today is the last day of this trip. It actually rained hard 3 different times today. We netted bait at Point of Rocks on Siesta Key and fished there without bites from dawn until about 10am. Rain. We moved over to the big Ringling bridge, there's sheltered fishing underneath and a nice little park. No good bites but saw a huge manatee. More rain. Home tomorrow so the sun will probably come out. :) BTW, the wife insists that I mention that she out-fished me every day except one. :)

Marlowe

Thanks, Grampa. Yep, she's a keeper. Her daddy is a great outdoorsman who had 3 daughters, no sons. She baits her own hook unless there's a guide, cleans and cooks 'em. Handles a boat as well as any guy and can back the trailer down perfect. And looks great doing it, too. ;)

Birddog

Glad you had a good time. Long bar pointe is a good spot in Sarasota bay too,you might have fished there.used to be you could keep 10 trout per person,now it's down to four and one redfish a day.hard to justify my fuel for that. Always good fishing in this part of Florida.

Marlowe

You're not kidding about the fuel. We've sure cut down on the joyrides. We fished the at Long Bar, it is a good spot. We also heard that whole section of shore is about to be mega-developed including dredging and sea grass removal. We couldn't believe it.