Tarpon jigger-rig ban in Florida

Laffeet

The Florida Wildlife Commission just voted to ban the jigger rig with the weighted bottom. The "jiggers" use the rig down in Boca Grande Pass to snag the tarpon rather than catch them. There's been plenty of controversy, but it's for the good of the fish stocks. What do you guys think? Is snagging really fishing?

cabinfever

I never really saw what was so sportsman-like about fishing so this doesn't bother me. I can see them banning it to preserve stocks, though. Although, as long as someone is staying within the limits, it really shouldn't harm the stocks.

Marlowe

We went fishing with a local guide at Boca Grande Pass 5 or 6 years ago. The guide was great but what a circus the Pass is during the tarpon run! After an hour of trying to fish among the scores of boats and tarpon-crazy anglers, we asked our guide about other area fishing. He was happy to show us some excellent flats and backwater action in nearby Charlotte Harbor. We had great fun catching mangrove snapper and redfish for dinner, instead of a giant inedible tarpon. BTW, the local guides we talked to all said they don't use jiggers.

jason

fear no beer
What do you guys think? Is snagging really fishing?

Some people call tossing a stick of dynamite into the water and collecting what they want as it floats up fishing. I do not however, and while the above mentioned may not be as bad, I do not call it fishing either.

carmen

I don't really fish anymore but for what it is worth, no it is not fishing. If you are not struggling to get your catch in the fish and not doing it by hand (old fashion that way) to me it is not really fishing.

campclose

I don't think it is fishing either. You have to work at fishing. You know put a worm on your hook... cast it... wait five minutes and reel it in. Put another worm on because the fish ate it.

Taipan

Well, if they were doing it to survive that would be one thing. But you don't eat tarpon. It's just a big game fish that's fun to catch because it's big. Not very pretty either, in my estimation. Tarpon look like big ugly carp when you see them up close.