Team Building Exercise

hummingbird

Has anyone ever been to one of those team building workshops corporations hold in the forest or at one of those camps they have developed? I have always thought they were terribly silly and a waste of good time. I haven't heard anyone say they have done one in a while and I wondered if they still do them.

oldsarge

Use to do them in the military all the time, also while working for a security company after I got out of the military. They can be lots of fun, push people beyond their limits, instill comradeship and build confidence. I haven't heard of them in a while either now that you mention it.

Hikenhunter

Did one years ago as a scoutleader. We did form a bound in that one week program that has us talking once or twice a year. Incidentally we did learn alot about teamwork during that course.

Marshmallow

I've only been to one, and that was over the course of two days in our town. The job had us maneuvering a ropes course and doing some survival type activities. Anyone can survive for two days, so we didn't accomplish much.

shaun

I disagree. I went on one a few years ago when I was working in an office for a finance company. We went to an army assault course in the woods. We all got muddy and had lots of fun, most of us agreed it improved our bond as a team.

oldsarge

I disagree. I went on one a few years ago when I was working in an office for a finance company. We went to an army assault course in the woods. We all got muddy and had lots of fun, most of us agreed it improved our bond as a team.
I don't know what people really expect out of team building exercises. It's a time to bond and develop team cohesion skills. Put you through something out of the norm and under a little stress. The fact that you're out of your normal comfort zone and doing something fun and exciting will changes people's outlook on their daily jobs. During my time in the Army, we didn't care much for the exercises because we did this stuff all the time. Non combat units who we ran through the course loved it, they don't do it all the time so it was a real challenge, getting muddy and having fun was a nice change for them. I think a 2-3 day course out in the woods would be a blast.

Esperahol

The problem with these exercises is that generally nobody wants to deal with them. Because they come into the situation feeling that they are wasting their time it shows and nothing ends up being accomplished. Unless you count ploting the murder of your supervisor an accomplishment.

Jack999

I done one at work, if was awful. They ran it on a Saturday and all I could think was "I wish I was at home" :(

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's fun working in crappy conditions with other people at a "time is of the essence" task. But, all in all, I'd rather be fishing.