Tell me about two way radios.

Pebbles

After going to a site where we had no cell phone reception, my husband suggested we get a set of two way radios. I know very little about what to look for. What are your suggestions? Do you have a model you really like?

Barney

Well, I'm not an expert but if you want quality stuff you would probably want to consider some products from MidlandRadio.com. You can find some good ones for $60, but I think they will be cheaper on Amazon.com.

failghe

I worked as a contractor for the phone company some years back and we needed 2way radios when we tested the fiber optics from point to point. Sometimes we were up to 1-2 miles away. If I remember correctly we used Motorola hand helds, and they worked really well. But they were not cheap at the time. Make sure to test the distance and not take what it says on the box to be true. I have tried cheap ones that say up to 5 miles and they didn't go more than the next street over.

calanta

I have never thought too much about this since most times we never split up into groups, we tend to stick together. I guess we have watched too many crazy movies about people in wooded areas.

outdoorsy

Motorola? I think that is a really good brand. We have 2 way radios here and I love them. We don't use them a ton because we have cell phones. We take them when we go camping.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
...I have tried cheap ones that say up to 5 miles and they didn't go more than the next street over.
This has been my experience as well. The FRS devices don't have much range in the bush at all. I would think if I were to invest in another set I would spend the money for a GOOD set and stay away from the cheapies. A total waste of money unless you have a good line of sight.