Tent camping in the 40s

rockin

My cousin is crazy! She took her family (teens) tent camping last night. I know it got to the 30s at night and it was in the 40s yesterday. I say it's too cold to tent camp now.

Fox38

Did they take camping gear for colder weather or just go with gear for summer? I have camped in the 40s before. It wasn't terrible - just made you enjoy the fire more!

Lorax

Where I am, 40 is still nice camping weather. Even in summer, we get a few 40-50 nights easily. That's great sleeping temps with a 20* bag.

With the right gear, (and some experience) any temperature is manageable

Last edited:

ponderosa

I bought 20 degree sleeping bags for my toddlers, and we use them for tent camping right down to that limit. A 40 degree day is actually great hiking weather, and with the right gear, it really doesn't matter how cold it gets overnight. When I was a teenager, my sister and I used to tent camp by ourselves in the middle of winter. We grew up camping year round with our dad, knew what we were doing, and always had a great time.

Grandpa

In the rockies, you may not get it but you had better be prepared for 30 degree F any night of the summer. Check my Wind Rivers picture album. Those pictures were taken the last of July and the lakes were still frozen over and the passes still closed with snow.
As people have mentioned you can tent camp year round if you know what you are doing. 40 degrees is just good learning weather to prepare you for the 0 to -20 degree weather.

HikerJoe

I would rather camp in the 40's than in the hunderds. There are no bugs and you don't have to take a shower.

ppine

Forester
For a well documented history of camping in cold weather refer to mining camps all over N Amer and especially the Klondike in the days of 1898.

I have hunted elk in below zero temperatures. A canvas tent with a wood stove is what you need.

Throughout hundreds of thousands of years of human history, people have lived outside year round. Think about that the next time it "seems too cold."

I think Lamebeaver got it right. Camping in the 40s was with canvas tent, axes, and basic everything.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

I would rather camp in the 40's than in the hunderds. There are no bugs and you don't have to take a shower.
This!

Coldest I've done was 20's. I used a tarp shelter propped up with hiking poles. A good bag and warm hat is all you need.

Hazel

Last spring when I went camping, the temps. dropped. Extra socks and a knitted hat helped. I slept like a baby till the racoons woke me up.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Rockin, I have camped in some very rough weather including below zero. I did it because of something I was hunting at the time. 30's at night and 40's in the day is balmy weather. Your cousin isn't crazy. She's just more rugged than you.

briansnat

Platnium Member
There is no such thing as too cold to camp, only the wrong equipment. Coldest I've ever camped was 8 below zero. It was somewhat uncomfortable because I accidentally brought along my daughter's 30 degree bag instead of my 0 degree bag. Not only was it not warm enough, I couldn't fit inside it so had to use it as a blanket. I put on every piece of clothing I had with me and survived the night.

BUT had I taken along the correct sleeping bag I would have been perfectly comfortable. I've spent probably three dozen nights camping in temps below freezing, with close to half of those in teens or single digits and have never been uncomfortable (well it is kind of cold getting out of the bag to pee in the middle of the night).

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Not crazy at all I backpack in temps that are in the 20s and 30s during the day and getting to 0 or less in the nights. Just need the right gear.

ppine

Forester
Dealing with challenges and adversity in the outdoors are largely mental. With experience and some skill, people figure out how to be comfortable under almost any conditions. I really detest the phrase "roughing it." I am always trying to figure out how to smooth it.

For travelling light in winter conditions, try a nylon Whelen lean-to with a fire in front of it. It also illumintates the otherwise dark and gloomy winter nights.