Tent/Canoe Camping Likes

Northern Dancer

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT TENT/CANOE CAMPING

Camping/Canoeing has made me a lot calmer, relaxed, happier, and respectful of the great outdoors.
I've come to realize what little I need to take care of myself in a possibly hostile environment.
Time becomes irrelevant, other than getting there on time and getting back to the office on time. [Missed a few.]
I don't need a watch, my body seems to adjust to nature's time.
I get an incredible sleep that I don't get at home.

...to name a few.

ppine

Forester
Good thoughts.
But some canoeing is very challenging and not relaxing. That would include large lakes with a lot of fetch and exposed crossings or rivers with lots of rocks and high gradients. Most of our trips have had some tension and release.

Roybrew

I'm planning a simple 2 nights away next week. Going to reserve a boat in site on a North Carolina lake. Pack light and take the canoe.

My wife doesn't get it. I can't explain, I'm not good at that kind of thing. She's used to me going on camping fishing trips with my brother, but he can't make it. So it's solo for me, and I'm looking forward to it.
Roy

Northern Dancer

I'm planning a simple 2 nights away next week. Going to reserve a boat in site on a North Carolina lake. Pack light and take the canoe.

My wife doesn't get it. I can't explain, I'm not good at that kind of thing. She's used to me going on camping fishing trips with my brother, but he can't make it. So it's solo for me, and I'm looking forward to it.
Roy
-----> I hear you. Most of my trips are solo and have been for several years. One reason is that I don't have anyone to go with other than Eric. People are intrigued about what I would do, "by myself". The big thing is that you take care of yourself - because there isn't anyone else there to do that. From setting up camp, to cooking, cleaning, photographing, and such takes a lot of time. Then there are the wonderful things that are happening around you. Come bed time I'm usually good and tired and ready to sleep.

I have a new experience this year Roybrew. Come June 2nd is my last day working day in Long Term Care. I have permission to take the entire summer off from my authority. If all goes well this should be the "campiest" summer of my life. To kick things off I'll be in the Durham region for three days starting June 7th and then the following week starting on the 16th I'll be in the Muskokas for six days. And that's only the beginning.

Roybrew

All summer?! That would be a blast. Isn't Muskoka area in the Algonquin. So what lakes are you going to concentrate on?

Northern Dancer

All summer?! That would be a blast. Isn't Muskoka area in the Algonquin. So what lakes are you going to concentrate on?
----->My base camp will be at Arrowhead Provincial Park so I will be exploring Mayflower Lakes and taking in the immediate attractions of the park. Since Algonquin Park is only 45 minutes away I'm planning a day trip to Tea Lake for a day.

Roybrew

You've camped on Arrowhead lake before. It must bea nice place. How's the skiters and black flies this time of year? Or is that just an overly expressed topic?

Northern Dancer

You've camped on Arrowhead lake before. It must bea nice place. How's the skiters and black flies this time of year? Or is that just an overly expressed topic?
----->I have. I managed to get my favourite spot too. The skiters? Now that's a problem. In the last few years, they seem to be worse. There is no doubt weather patterns that affect the mosquito population have changed. [This year, in this area, the warmest winter has been recorded.] Usually, daytime is good, come sundown the Mozzies [Australian for] are out in force. I use a cream form of mosquito repellent with a hefty amount of deet, as necessary.

But you know something? I don't let the weather or environment stop me from getting out. It's all part of the adventure.

This trip is very much leisurely and I'm not planning to strain myself. I'll be on my own so I haven't set a regiment of activity, I just want to get away by myself.

Roybrew

This trip is very much leisurely and I'm not planning to strain myself. I'll be on my own so I haven't set a regiment of activity, I just want to get away by myself.
Yes. That's all I'm after. A nice relaxing time. You've got to post pictures tho.
Roy