Tent color

limbs

I know that tent color does not matter much when you are in a campground. However, does tent color matter when you are camping in "wild" places?

Michael

I like tents that are an easy colour to see. Blue is good, because nothing in the woods is both large and blue at the same time.

danny28

I would imagine you would want the color to mesh in with scenery if you are somewhere "wild"? You would not want to draw attention to yourself or the tent.

ppine

Forester
My favorite color for a tent is white canvas. It reflects the light well at night and is easy to see from a distance. For backpacking, blue or green is fine, but for really remote sites I prefer red or orange. It is easy to find and good for rescues.

littlefire

I'm curious of this as well. On the one hand, you'd want your tent to be easy to find, for you, or a rescue party if need be. On the other hand, you don't want your tent easy enough for wild animals to find, or be attracted to the tent.

Refrigerator

advantages of bright colored tents are...easy to locate if you need a rescue.
If you were growing up in the 60's then color is way too cool man like what it iz.

Milly

I figure, it really does not matter if the animal can see your tent. They already know you are there by your scent! I would go with a brightly colored tent for remote camping, because like everyone said, if you need rescued someone can easily see it. However, around here all I have seen are blue and green tents. Probably have to buy colored tents online.

carmen

Unless it comes to our kids we never really worry about the color of the tent, but being able to see it from distance is good. Right now we have an orange-rust colored one for us and a medium blue for the kids.

ponderosa

The hard-core Leave No Trace folks advocate for colors that blend in, so that your obvious presence doesn't detract from the wilderness experience for others who may happen by your way. I believe in LNT, but not the extent that I'm going to tell other people what color their tent should be. I personally prefer a tent that blends in- I'd just as soon others pass by without knowing I was there. But...I'm not going to buy different tents for forest camping and redrock desert camping and white for winter, etc. My favorite tent at the moment happens to be a rusty orange with a red fly (MSR Mutha Hubba). It wouldn't be my first choice of color, but the tent is great. And the orange is cheerful when you're cooped up in bad weather for a while.

Marshmallow

For some reason, we always choose blue or tan tents. I haven't thought about wanting to be rescued, but we don't usually go to out-of-the-way places. I hate that orange color hunters wear, even though I know why it's a good color. I just don't like orange.

Grandpa

Color is not high on my priority list when choosing a tent. As Ponderosa said, some prefer blending in to ease the detraction for others but I prefer being seen so they don't wander right in on my site and then feel embarrassed. Animals and Search and Rescue are both pretty good at finding any tent. Animals always know and give S&R a general location and they "git r done" too.

Hikenhunter

I don't like tents that are brightly covered, yet I think they ought to be seen. Blues and gray aren't bad and green tents stand out enough so that no one should be walking into your camp unless you are really in some grssy area. Most tent manufacturers don't really seem to give you more than several colors to choose from anyway. I say you should buy the tent that has the features you want and then pick whatever color appeals to you.

kreso93

I don't think that you should draw attention to yourself when you're in wilderness. Green camouflage color would suit the best I guess.

Newanderthal

I would imagine you would want the color to mesh in with scenery if you are somewhere "wild"? You would not want to draw attention to yourself or the tent.
On the contrary, you should draw attention to your location. Animals won't care what color the tent is, but if it's noticeable, people will see it. I'd much rather someone know that I'm there. It's the same reason hunters wear orange. It reduces the chance of bullets coming to hang out with your innards. A bright, unnaturally colored tent says "someone is camping here", while one that blends in says "all clear to shoot".

ponderosa

The "be visible" folks all make good points, but I still prefer to stealth camp, personally. I used to backpack solo quite often, or with just my sister or a girlfriend. My goal under those circumstances is to not draw any attention to my campsite, which is always a distance from the trail. I don't care to have anyone dropping in to say hello. Every solo female hiker I know feels the same way. YMMV, hike your own hike, etc.

DMan

There's something to be said for both sides of this. On one hand, it would be nice to have an easy to spot color if you're walking and want a reference point. But it's also nice not to be visible if you're off the beaten path on your own. A number of years ago I would have opted for visibility. I'm not so sure I'd do that today.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
The "be visible" folks all make good points, but I still prefer to stealth camp, personally. I used to backpack solo quite often, or with just my sister or a girlfriend. My goal under those circumstances is to not draw any attention to my campsite, which is always a distance from the trail. I don't care to have anyone dropping in to say hello. Every solo female hiker I know feels the same way. YMMV, hike your own hike, etc.

Agreed! If I want someone to find me I'll try other things. I prefer my tent blend in. That way if I wind up "stealth camping" and trying not to be found, I won't be found.
My tent right now is dark green, like army green, but I it only comes in that color, I didn't pick it because of the color (hennessy hammock).

Bojib

I had never thought much about it until reading this post. My tents are all have some shade of green. One is green with a green rain fly, the other two are white with green rain flies.

It wasn't on purpose though. I didn't go out seeking to have a green tent. It must be a sub-conscious thing. That, or just by chance I picked tents with that being a prominent color. Of course, it's probably a popular color for tent makers to use too.

briansnat

Platnium Member
There are two schools of thought. One is to use neutral colors that are not obtrusive. Others think that bright colored tents are better for safety reasons.

I prefer colors that blend in. We often pack in, make camp and leave the tent as a base then go for day hikes. I'd rather that my campsite isn't too noticeable to anyone who happens by. I can use the GPS or map and compass to find it if necessary.

On rare occasions I stealth camp (i.e. camping where I shouldn't) and also prefer colors that blend in for this reason. In fact I wouldn't mind a rain fly in a camo pattern.