That moment when...

Riverflow

You see the giant fin of what *has* to be a monster fish sailing around the middle of the lake. There was one fishing spot I frequented when I was younger, and every single time, that fish would show up in the same spot, making giant splashes with one of its fins raised as if it were a shark.

Being without a boat, we could only watch it from afar. I still wonder what the heck kind of fish it could have been. Maybe it wasn't even edible! Doesn't matter though, it did the job of instilling the notion that no matter how much you scour a lake, pond, or river by coast or by boat, there will always be that unattainable fish there to tease at your imagination and never be caught.

Hikenhunter

Sounds like a buck I tried to take several years ago. During archery season I'd see him over and over again but always out of my shooting range. I figured I'd bag him during rifle season but I never laid eyes on that bad boy during rifle season. A deer that big where I hunt would not have been kept a secret so I knew no one bagged him. Next year rolls around and I start scouting for archery and he's back. I never got a shot at him and I'm pretty sure that old boy died of old age one winter. I guess that's why they call it hunting and I can't say that I'd rather have it any other way.

briansnat

Platnium Member
A few weeks ago I was fishing in a shallow cove. I saw a log underwater and thought "I don't recall seeing that log moments ago". Then the log moved. It was a huge muskie. Went right under my boat. I threw every lure I had in the directed it headed off to, but no luck.

campclose

Isn't that always the way. It really makes you want to keep casting though. I know I will catch it sooner or later. I don't hunt though so I can't tell a buck story.