The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

We got back from Charlottesville VA last night. We visted Monticello and ate lots of fried chicken and greens uumm um. We took a walk on the towns Rivanna river trail
yeh she didn't like me taking picture of her carrying her shoes. She said everybody gonna think she's a hillbilly, uh hmm. We drove part of the Blue Ridge Parkway on way back
looking over the Shenandoah valley. We came back down by the james river and hit the interstate home.

jason

fear no beer
At Monticello seeing the sites, and check out my East Tennessee wife carrying her shoes again. She don't like wearing shoes
If it helps, I hate shoes too. I spend most of my time in my yard without shoes. Thankfully I dig up sand spurs before I step of them; most of the time. But I have gotten pretty used to them.

Go our new fence up here. Just brought in another 5 loads of dirt and 1 of sand. The sand is going to be put around the fire pit. Still have a short piece of chain link to put up after the dirt is spread.

Cappy

Just put a couple pork spare rib slabs on da pit red fish on the half shell to folow. Got some bacon frying down for the bbq pit baked beans. Skynard on da out door speakers and the big out door fan roaring. Did not bother with the water cooler for the fan its way too humid for that to do any good.

jason

fear no beer
Been some kind of weekend. I got a delivery of barrels.

Some will be for water storage as a hurricane preparedness. The big IBC totes will be rain water storage. 55 Gallon drums will be plant growers.

Then while working in the garage, I kept hearing a cracking sound. There is a tree that is half dead a few feet on the neighbors property. I offered last year to take down the dead half and they refused. Guess where they cracking sound was coming from.

Fence is not even two weeks old. Held up better then I thought. A few damaged rails.

My guy showed up later afternoon to move some dirt. Asked him to scrap down the front flower bed as best as he could with the stumps still in there. He brought a neat little attachment.

Dirt all spread along my new fence.

Cappy

ya really got the thing coming along Jason sure am enjoying the progress reports. Thanks be to God the damage to the fence was very minor.

Cappy

cI am in the process of removing the old camper awning. Watched a video on it and it said it was a 3 person job. They dont know this old chubby Cajun too well only thing left to do is slide the old one out I have removed all the brackets and hard ware then cut the awning about a foot from the camper now I am gonna slide ti out of the track but its been there 112 years and is kinda stuck. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Cappy

Sliding the canvas outa the grove on the camper turned out to be a real chore got a good grip with pliers right at one end against the channel gave a mighty tug it slid an inch tried applying steady pull on it no good. moved the ladder for better positioning. got up there and tried the yank yank method and got it moving slow hard tug wait tug agains got it all the way to the end of the channel on the camper once past the end it slid right out. YAY!! Now its off to shop for a new one on line find the best price we can then compare it with local camping places looking for the best deal. before sliding the new one in position think I'll slick it up with a lil dawn soap or something to make er slide better. Armed with you tube I am encouraged to try repairs and such by my self it dont matter what ya need to fix there usually is a video showing some one doing it.

Cappy

It's tropically depressin' today and me Peg and da dawgs are all gettin cabin fever. Bout all I did today so far is sneak out between showers and pick a bowl of figs. Needless to say in my white boots.

Roybrew

Took little fishing trip the other day. Something I was wanting to do and try. Thought I'd share it with y'all. My local river runs shallow and moves about 1. To 2 mph, so paddling up stream to fish takes all the fun out of it. Here is the section I wanted to cover cause it could take 5 or 6 hours to drift, or probably longer if you wanted
So I loaded the cane and took off
left the truck at the ramp where I put in
pretty morning on the river
I love these river smallies
last 1 mile stretch to go
and a few more before I finished
Got to my take out where river meets the road. Drug canoe up on bank, put cable around tree and locked her to it. Put on back pack with tackle, strapped pole to bicycle, put life jacket over back pack and took off back to truck. It took less than 20 min to ride back and throw bicycle in truck. Drove down loaded up canoe. Great morning of fishing.

MacGyver

Got out a few weeks ago and I can't wait for another trip. Tired of dealing with humans! Unfortunately, with the typical Maryland summer firmly in place, it looks like Fall will be the next time out.
Finally figured out an easy way to get an 18x30 tarp up for rain and shade which is a good thing - we had a thunderstorm roll through and everybody stayed dry. But the real fun was the addition of an $80 projector that exceeded expectations. Playing off a USB drive, we now have Movies in the Woods!

The Setup.jpg
Movie Night sm.png

Cappy

Nice report and I like the way ya spread the big tarp. Gonna have to look int going back to a tarp now that my awning on the camper is broke and removed. That thing spoiled me.

MacGyver

That looked like Blazing Sadles??
Yep - That's Blazing Saddles. Out there it's all Mel Brooks, Monty Python and Naked Gun kinda goofball crap. We're not even close to politically correct.

Nice report and I like the way ya spread the big tarp. Gonna have to look int going back to a tarp now that my awning on the camper is broke and removed. That thing spoiled me.
Thanks. I think I amazed myself with this one. It's the largest tarp I've ever put up and it seemed to go up easier than any of my smaller tarps.

If you're really going to go back to a tarp, I can take detailed pictures of what I put together if it'll help. The big trick, at least to me, was how to makes the guylines adjustable. I mean I've used rope locks before - the wood blocks with two holes drilled in 'em - but couldn't figure out how to keep them from slipping off the pegs in the ground while adjusting 'em. I solved that with 3 links of "big ass" chain for each rope. Rope through one end link, a Spax bolt for a peg into the ground on the other end. The rest was easy. Hooks on the inside of the 2x4s for a ridge line, hooks on the outside for the guylines.

Simplify

Sliding the canvas outa the grove on the camper turned out to be a real chore got a good grip with pliers right at one end against the channel gave a mighty tug it slid an inch tried applying steady pull on it no good. moved the ladder for better positioning. got up there and tried the yank yank method and got it moving slow hard tug wait tug agains got it all the way to the end of the channel on the camper once past the end it slid right out. YAY!! Now its off to shop for a new one on line find the best price we can then compare it with local camping places looking for the best deal. before sliding the new one in position think I'll slick it up with a lil dawn soap or something to make er slide better. Armed with you tube I am encouraged to try repairs and such by my self it dont matter what ya need to fix there usually is a video showing some one doing it.

There are so many skills that can be learned from watching you online videos. I was able to learn several tasks in bicycle repair from watching them.

Roybrew

Other than a little blood loss from ravenous mosquitos, this is how every Sunday afternoon should be be spent.

Cappy

I sure been missin my hammock the last couple weeks we got soooo much rain the yard is extra mushy. Even though the poles I put up are deep and each have 2 sacks of easycrete I am scared my chubby but might cause them to toe in. I have been sorely tempted on evenings but am holding out for a dry spell.

Roybrew

Y'all been getten lots of rain from the Gulf lately. Maybe you get a break and it dry out a little. We been lucky here I think the rain fall been normal and been cooler here all week. Nights been in mid 50s and days upper 70s. I'd like for it to stay this way all year.

Cappy

Went to Lowes yesterday and got a 22 inch push mower old one rusted away. Set it up and oiled it up just a minute ago and maybe tomorrow or monday it will be dry enough to mow or bail. It's been over 2 weeks of non stop wet since I cut it. Gonna try mulching it back in but I kinda doubt it time will tell.