The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Went bicycling on an old rail road bed in Damascus VA. It's called the Virginia Creeper Trail. They shuttled us to the top of White Top mtn and it's 17 miles back to Damascus. Some ride up the mtn, but ya know, I hate to show off so we start at the top.
there are lots of rail road bridges that have been converted. This one was the longest and highest. The trail follows a creek most of the way
Cuncks of quartz embedded in this bolder
The Appalachian Trail cross and follows the trail to the town
I wouldn't let her bolder hop on this one
It was nice Sunday, and I guess I got a little exercise.

Roybrew

Cut the 1/4 inch groove
I had to do the corners free hand, so they're not perfect. Thought I'd better try the seat frame out to make sure it was not going to break, especially before order the weaved cane seat. I had my doubts, if the frame was going to hold, because it turned out a little thinner than I wanted.
SUCKED! There was a knot right in that spot where it broke. I like the looks of wood with knots and stuff, but this was a failure on my part. I'll start again in a couple of weeks. Learning and building experience.

Roybrew

I hope everyone near the path of Harvey is doing good. I've never been in that type of storms, so I have no idea what it's like.

jason

fear no beer
I hope everyone near the path of Harvey is doing good. I've never been in that type of storms, so I have no idea what it's like.
From what I have seen on another website that has some people from the area, I do not think many people have. I hope those that are in it are able to stay safe. Sadly this will take years to get back to normal.

Roybrew

Yes it'll take years for those people and areas to recover from this. Has any one heard from Cappy? I hope him and the missus is ok.

jason

fear no beer
Who ever is in florida, we wish you the best.
I got beer and whiskey, so no worries. Just wish they did not keep pushing this thing west. But what are you going to do. They are saying a cat 3 over Tampa. We have water, and dry food goods. Most likely loose power and have a bbq for the neighbors. Today will be spent covering a few windows and maybe a tree removal for 4. They needed to be done anyway. On another side note I guess all those mountain house meals will finally be eaten.

jason

fear no beer
Down to a cat 3 and made landfall. Windows down to 115. Looks like maybe a cat2 or 1 by the time it gets to me. Kinda hoping it moves a bit west so we do not get they eye. Otherwise I have been trying to stay busy around the house. Even went for a swim and a walk around the block.

Roybrew

Glad ya doing ok. When you said took a swim I imagined the tide coming in on ya.

I finished painting the shed this afternoon. I've had it for about 15 years now, and yes I guess I put it off long enough.
Now I am sitting in front of TV watching this reporter dude get blowed around in Naples.

I hope you ride through smoothly. Stay safe.

Grandpa

Good to hear Jason. We were headed that way but Irma scared us off. We are visiting Knoxville tomorrow, then heading back to our earthquakes and forest fires. Hope you are prepared for no electricity.

jason

fear no beer
Power is back on. We hosted a few people for the day who still did not have power. As of last night one still does not have power but should have it today or tomorrow. As of today all traffic lights seem to be working. Seems people forget that no traffic lights means it is a four way stop. Not just hit the gas and hope for the best. Gas stations are starting to get fuel. Grocery stores are pretty empty of any food that needs to be kept cold. But things are getting back to normal.

Thankfully our area got lucky. Reports are we got hit with 80mph winds. The storm moved west which helped. Feel bad for those that got hit harder. Spent a few days taking care of yards for people. Cutting up trees, removing limbs and such and just trying to get things to normal.

My neighbor across the street actually found a Chinese food place open Sunday night, the night of the storm. Rumor has it at least three in the area were open during the storm.

Sheriffs office was reinforced with some national guard. They were out in force checking on businesses to make sure no looting was going on.

I was prepared for no power. I usually have 5-6 bags of charcoal on hand. Three propane tanks. More firewood then I could store, in fact I have been trying to get rid of some for a while. More water storage then a sane person would have. Biggest threat would be going through the freezer meat before it went bad, but was willing to host a few cook outs. I did find out the coffee maker does not work on my flat top grill.

Attachments