The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Well, it is official. The plant I work at is closing and moving to Mexico. Perfect opportunity to go on an extended backpacking/cycling trip.
Oh that sucks! I mean about the plant closing. I work in an auto and diesel engine plant, and I wonder if they are planning the same move. Yes great opportunity for outdoor activities.

Cappy

It actually got below freezing here last night. Peggy said at around 4 this morning it was 25F but I aint sure the water on the end of the drive way from all the rain wasn't frozen. The ground temp was too high. The naners do look a lil yellowed though so maybe.

Cappy

I know how it feels to loose ya job I lost mine 3 years ago and cant find another job on the water cause of the depressed oil industry down here. I had a ball doing stuff for a while and now I aint sure if I am outa work or retired. Got a lil money saved up and we using it and doing ok. So I wasn't forced to take a different job like many of my friends had to do.

Simplify

Hopefully your job in the diesel plant will stay in the US. I have wanted to do an extended multi-week trip for a while so I see this as the perfect opportunity to do it in between jobs. I have also been wanting to move back home to New England. I am at the point in life where I am not picky about work anymore. When I was in my 30's and early 40's I was all gung ho about climbing the company ladder and ended up getting into a rut where I was working constantly. Now I don't care. I just want to have a balance between work and life. Initially I will look for something in my field but if it doesn't work I am open to a lot of different jobs. What would be cool is to take your interests and turn them into a career, like working in the forestry field or working in an outdoor store or bicycle shop.

Simplify

I know how it feels to loose ya job I lost mine 3 years ago and cant find another job on the water cause of the depressed oil industry down here. I had a ball doing stuff for a while and now I aint sure if I am outa work or retired. Got a lil money saved up and we using it and doing ok. So I wasn't forced to take a different job like many of my friends had to do.
So losing your job wasn't so bad after all. You just learned to live more frugally.

Cappy

actually we are ok financially what I miss is the scenery from the wheel house watching the world slide by at just a few miles an hour.
If the economy picks up I prolly would go back if I could just cause I love it so.

Pathfinder1

Here's one you won't hear often. Temps in the area hit the minus 20's last night. My niece lives on a ranch way out on the Utah/Nevada border. School bus wouldn't start, her son didn't want to miss so he headed for school in the ranch pickup. Hit a well frozen cow turd and blew a tire. Now thats COLD.
Hi...!!

Yes, that is cold...(a blown tire due to a turd)...!!

Northern Dancer

Well, it is official. The plant I work at is closing and moving to Mexico. Perfect opportunity to go on an extended backpacking/cycling trip.
---------------------------- > :Unsure:
...sorry to hear that Simplify. These situations can effect a person's

demeanour considerably. But then again - it could be a marvellous change - I hope that is true for you.

Simplify

@ND Yes. Always look for the good that can come out of it. I can take a month off of work and have a dream trip and I have letters of recommendation from management at my company and guaranteed good references and I did not quit my job, I was laid off, so when I do go looking for something else the interviewers will know that I am not merely a job-hopper.

Northern Dancer

@ND Yes. Always look for the good that can come out of it. I can take a month off of work and have a dream trip and I have letters of recommendation from management at my company and guaranteed good references and I did not quit my job, I was laid off, so when I do go looking for something else the interviewers will know that I am not merely a job-hopper.
------------------------ >
...bolster yourself with supportive people and organizations; do not waste any time and be prepared to make decisions that will strengthen your position. I have a hunch you have met challenges before - this will be another one - and you will be successful!

Northern Dancer

....it's been -10 to -16 degrees Celsius, that's 14 to 3.2 Fahrenheit in our neck of the woods. BUT I'm absolutely convinced that spring will arrive at the most opportune time. :) Just when all those sport men's and other outdoor shows feature their goods to winter worn folks like me.

Cappy

It warmed back to the 60's today and I have taken off my flannel shirt and am down to a tee shirt and bibs. Just came in from garden work and got a glass of water and a sweat rag guess winter is over for the forsee able future.

Northern Dancer

It warmed back to the 60's today and I have taken off my flannel shirt and am down to a tee shirt and bibs. Just came in from garden work and got a glass of water and a sweat rag guess winter is over for the forsee able future.
-------------------------- > :(
...groan - it "ain't" over in our neck of the woods.

Sunday morning last.

Cappy

I managed to yank up 8 rebar that I had sunk about 4 ft deep in the yard for trellises. I got a wild hare and decided to move em. It durn sure wern't eashy but with the help of a garden hose and a pipe wrench I got em all up and the wire pannels offn em ready for tomorrow. Now I am on my second Busch with the black iron on the stove. Gonna watch the game tonight any one else??

Grandpa

My friend and I bowl in a league about 60 miles away. Not tonight. Two feet of snow then it turned to rain today. Now it's freezing and many roads are closed. Grandma has a big pot of barley soup on the stove, so gonna watch that game with you cappy.

dinosaur

troublemaker
No offense, Cappy, but if we're talking about the same thing, I think it's spelled "pleurisy". I know because I used to suffer from this when I was a kid. It feels like someone is stabbing you in the chest. I grew out of it.

Yeah, I won that one too.

Cappy

Heck I know I cant spell so its bout time ya learn it too.:beer7:Das what Peg has and docs say its on acounta her lungs are scarred from when she got burnt. There is a natural remedy called pleurisy(hadda look to see how ya spelt it.) root its an extract. taste nasty but really helps I am told.

jason

fear no beer
Here's one you won't hear often. Temps in the area hit the minus 20's last night. My niece lives on a ranch way out on the Utah/Nevada border. School bus wouldn't start, her son didn't want to miss so he headed for school in the ranch pickup. Hit a well frozen cow turd and blew a tire. Now thats COLD.
Yeah, I never heard that and doubt I will ever hear that again.

jason

fear no beer
Sounds like you are handling it well. I hope the trip is everything you hope for.