The Yukon

Joe S.

I have been doing some reading about a biologist who spent a whole year hiking with his dog from Yellowstone up to the Yukon. He stayed on public lands the whole way. I would love to see the Yukon---ever go there?

ppine

Forester
Joe,
I was in the Yukon in about 1980. We took the Alaska Ferry from Seattle to the end of the line at Haines and then rented a car and drove to Anchorage (around 500 miles). The road was dirt, and there were few people, maybe a gas station every 100-120 miles. We had Alaska liscense plates and the local people were not friendly. It was right after "The Pipe" and Yukonners were tired of all the yah whos from places like TX and OK. I remember going past Lake LaBarge and seeing the Northern Lights, moose and over 100 Dall Sheep at Sheep Mtn. I turned off a side road and met some Athabascan Indians drying salmon over a big smoky fire and a rack of willows. They had a dog team with them. They are shy and modest Natives and great story tellers.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, I've been to Yukon many times, winter and summer. Each time I always made it a point to stay a while in Whitehorse, their Capital and largest town, a flat spot on the Yukon River.

Interesting place. Their population has increased by about 60% in the past couple of decades (heading toward 25,000 now).

They used to have about three old Yukon River stern wheeler steamboats on display there, but they were set afire by vandals. I think that one may have been salvaged.

When on the Yukon River I once had the pleasure to meet the last of the old stern wheeler riverboat pilots and his wife. They were vacationing on the River in their home made house boat. What stories about the 'old life' they could tell...!!

Outside of the city is mostly frontier. Very 'wild', or as Robert Service once put it:

"I have clinched and closed with the naked North.
I've learned to defy and defend.
Shoulder to shoulder we've fought it out.
Yet the wild must win in the end".

Joe S.

I am a big fan of Robert Service and also Jack London, both of whom write about the north country. If I go, (or I should say WHEN I go!) I'm going all the way up to Dawson Creek. Thanks for the input!

Grandpa

Ahhh yes, Robert Service. I have "The Spell of the Yukon and Other Verse" in my hand as I write this. Autographed by Robert and copywrited 1907. It was grandma's grandfathers book. I just noticed it still has the price written inside. $1.50

One said: Thy life is thine to make or mar,
To flicker feebly, or to soar, a star;
It lies with thee-- the choice is thine, is thine,
To hit the ties or drive thy auto-car. Robert Service

Pathfinder1

Joe S.;
I am a big fan of Robert Service and also Jack London, both of whom write about the north country. If I go, (or I should say WHEN I go!) I'm going all the way up to Dawson Creek. Thanks for the input!

Hi...

I hope you make it to Dawson Creek, a nice, sedate town at the start (mile 0) of the Alaska Highway, and also to Dawson City, further North in Yukon.

Stop in *Diamond Tooth Gertie's Saloon and partake of the bar's most touted drink...the Sourtoe...!! (yes, it's spelled right!). And, a bit of gambling, if you're so inclined.

*Providing they're still around.

And, if you remember your "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" correctly, Dawson was on his patrol route...!!

Cappy

I kinda know how th,e locals must feel. Kinda like we do', when fishing, and a party barge full of swamp tourers roar by takin pictures at 30 mph. We always smile and wave while cussin under our breath at ém.

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
There is an old tradition at Lake Tahoe. When the large tour boats and paddlewheelers go by full of smiling tourists taking pictures and throwing a 4 foot wake, tradition dictates that you smile, wave and then moon everyone.