This is 1 about #2 ...

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
This is a car/tent camping question...
A sensitive issue that is often not discussed is dealing with "human waste" while camping. If you are at a undeveloped (primitive) campsite for a number days, do you dig a latrine, use a porta-potty (of some sort) and haul out your waste, or just squat behind a tree?

As the title says: This 1 is about #2...

The reason I ask is because see all manners of behavior regarding this issue in the backcountry around here.

CozInCowtown

We generally did a hole away from camp similar to a post hole for a fence.
When finished and about to leave just fill in the hole and nobody knows the difference.
DC

Grandpa

Coz and hikenhunter "covered" it well. It's never okay to just "dump" it on the ground uncovered. However, I've been told some areas in the arid southwest are now suggesting leaving it on a flat rock, smearing it with a stick and letting the hot sun and wind drying it out and dissipating it in just a few hours. Just hearsay though. Never did it that way and haven't seen it in print.

Pathfinder1

Coz and hikenhunter "covered" it well. It's never okay to just "dump" it on the ground uncovered. However, I've been told some areas in the arid southwest are now suggesting leaving it on a flat rock, smearing it with a stick and letting the hot sun and wind drying it out and dissipating it in just a few hours. Just hearsay though. Never did it that way and haven't seen it in print.

Hi...

It's "In print" now, though...!! LOL

CaverGroupie

The last fairly off the beaten trail camping we did was an upper campground in Yosemite. The closest "relief station" was a half a mile. We were told to pack it out. We had to catch it, seal it in double plastic, keep it (and other garbage for that matter) in a bear box, and pack it out! Bears are such a problem there! Apparently our even "scat" attracts them.

ponderosa

The last fairly off the beaten trail camping we did was an upper campground in Yosemite. The closest "relief station" was a half a mile. We were told to pack it out. We had to catch it, seal it in double plastic, keep it (and other garbage for that matter) in a bear box, and pack it out! Bears are such a problem there! Apparently our even "scat" attracts them.
There are a few heavily used backcountry areas that require you to pack it out. In some places, a good hole can't be dug because there is nothing but solid rock, and without the rule, those places would soon be one big disgusting latrine. I generally choose not to hike in those places...

briansnat

Platnium Member
If I'm camping at a backcountry site that is used periodically, I'll dig a "cat hole" and use that. If I'm literally in the middle of nowhere, I don't bother and leave it exposed. It will decompose quite quickly. The TP I usually bring back to the camp to burn.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I've read about it somewhere, but after an hour of my poor google-fu skills, I can't find it anywhere. ( I'm going from rather poor memory here) In certain areas ( above tree line, desert/arid regions) feces can take up to 5 years to decompose due to the lack of moisture and necessary pathogens. Spreading/smearing feces will expose it to disinfecting UV light and dry it out quicker.