Time for warm socks!

limbs

It is nearly time to break out the warm socks. Of course I always end up having to buy new ones. Mine never seem to be anyplace that can be found. What type and brand of warm socks will you be buying?

Grandpa

Since I switched to merino wool for everything, I don't buy new socks. The old ones never wear out.

outwest

I have heard a little of merino wool but I never know where to get any. We have some footie socks for around the house that Santa left and I have no idea what they are made from but they are great.

Michael

I've got whatever they call the EMS equivalent of Smartwool. A couple of companies produce what is basically the same sock, but they call them slightly different things.

One thing to remember when wearing warm socks, especially multiple pairs: Don't tighten your shoes up too much over the bulkier socks. This squeezes the air out, and it's a layer of warm air that keeps your feet warm. So loosen your shoes a little more than usual so that they feel similar to how you tie them over thinner socks.

Thicker socks keep your feet warmer because they trap more warm air close to your skin than thin socks do. Don't squeeze all the air out of them or your feet will freeze.

Rain

EMS has really good wool socks and they're buy three get one free. You can also check on EBAY and Amazon. They have close outs for about half the price of REI and EMS.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I use the same Smartwool socks in all seasons.

I find that if I go with thicker socks in the winter my boots fit tighter and blood circulation is reduced so my feet wind up being colder

Grandpa

I use the same Smartwool socks in all seasons.

I find that if I go with thicker socks in the winter my boots fit tighter and blood circulation is reduced so my feet wind up being colder
I also stay with mid-weight hikers year round. That's what fits my shoes/boots for best insulation/moisture wicking. I do have one pair of oversize boots for winter where I can add a rag-wool sock over the mid-weight for extreme cold. However, I feel like a hippopotamus on a skateboard wearing those big clodhoppers.

FreeWilly

I really don't change anything when it comes to the cold and my feet. Heck, I still even walk around indoors barefoot. If I did get cold, I'd just put on my slippers and everything would be just fine. I'm weird.

Geezer

I wear wool year round too of course. In the winter I do wear a heavier sock though. What brand they are I don't know. I've had them for an awfully long time.

DThewanderer

My socks don't wear out, but they do get lost in the thick of it all. I do find myself getting more from time to time. I always try to stick with wool if I can.

Malarkey

Smartwool for me, all the way. I use two or three of their models, depending on what I'm doing and in what temperature. Merino wool is irreplaceable when it comes to socks!

alex k

have both mid and heavyweight wig wam hikers . the never wear out .
i did get some hemp blend hiking sox as a gift and find them soft , warm and not bulkey .