Took my 2 boys on their 1st hike

EarleD

I just took my 2 boys on their first hike. We live in CT and decided that Tyler Mill Park would be a great place for their first hike.

Hiked about 3-4 miles of easy terrain. Some gentle climbs. We found an old animal skull(possum or raccoon?)

Had a great time. My oldest is now a Boy Scout so he needs to get ready for this summer and many hikes and camping trips. They did great.

Attachments

Grandpa

That's great. A pair of fine looking woodsmen you got there. They are fortunate to have a dad that cares.

EarleD

They are my little buddies. Cant imagine not having them.

Boys scouts sounds like fun. It will get them off the computer games somewhat. Of course there is a scout badge for video games now

Looking forward to 2 hikes a week them

carmen

I bet they had a blast! I know the first time we took our kids (and then their kids) we always made a big deal out of it. One summer we took our youngest grand baby out and he did not want to come home, instead he just thought we could all "move to the woods". :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

Can't wait to get my newest hiking partners out. Granddaughter wasn't too sure when we put her in the new carrier the other day. But once her mother hoisted her up and she was looking around her expression brightened right up. The BIG trip isn't until July but both moms want to go for some overnighters so they can adapt their systems to accommodate the babes.

Hikenhunter

Getting outdoors with those two fine looking young men should make you feel great and will help to build a bond between the three of you that will last yuour lifetime and theirs. Heres wishing you all the best in your future adventures outdoors and with the scouts.

ChadTower

Awesome. :)

Make sure these hikes aren't the only time they get into the woods. Kids learn more from playing independently in a stand of trees than they do on official Hikes With Dad(tm). A kid will learn more about trees in an hour of climbing one than they will in a week of hiking among them.

EarleD

Our first camping trip is April 12,13,14. Looking forward to it, Its a Boy Scout trip so they provide the tents and such. Less for me to lug around.

He just got his first real sleeping bag and is excited to use it camping, he has been sleeping in it in bed this week. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Took them out again, this time we hiked Mt Higby in Middlefield. Had fun. Starting slow as I need to get in shape again. Getting easier with each hike.

The tree was safe, I climbed on it to make sure it was sturdy

Attachments

Last edited:

ChadTower

He just got his first real sleeping bag and is excited to use it camping, he has been sleeping in it in bed this week. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

This is a better idea than it sounds initially. I do this myself whenever I get new bags. I just upgraded our car camping bags this year and had my kids do the same thing. Anything you can get used to ahead of time makes using it in the wild easier and sorts out any unpleasant surprises before you need the item.

Marshmallow

Aren't the times with the kids the best of times? How cold did it get on your first hike? I admire people who get out into Nature no matter what the temperatures might be. I'm a chicken myself, and am waiting for warmer weather.

TroyS

I bet they had a blast! I know the first time we took our kids (and then their kids) we always made a big deal out of it. One summer we took our youngest grand baby out and he did not want to come home, instead he just thought we could all "move to the woods". :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Hahaha!!! That was pretty much the same thing that my son told me when we took him out on their first hiking trip.

EarleD

Went out with the boys again. Had a great time. My 10 year old is a good little hiker, my 8 year old complained about the hills.

He did finish the hike without dying, like he said he was gonna do:tinysmile_hmm_t: