trail mix chips sub

carmen

Our kids used to eat us out of house and home when it came to trail mix, us too now that I think about it. A few years before they all graduated from school I swapped over to a little mix with cheese, carrots and almonds.

I thought they would hate it but I took the carrots and cut them thin, someone the kids loved it. If you chunk them into different sizes the kids seem to go nuts for it. Figured other parents out there might give it a go and see how their kids react to it. ;0

SusieQ

So you made a trail mix with carrots and cheese? How long did it last? Obviously you had to keep it in the fridge or the cheese would have gone bad. I know my kids would like it because they love carrots and cheese.

Marlowe

We make our own trail mix sometimes, but I can't say it's healthy. :) We've tried to make the switch to carrots as a snack more than once. Just doesn't seem to catch on permanently. :) We use the excuse that we eat healthy at home so it's ok have a little junk food on the trail or out in the boat.

dinosaur

troublemaker
When I was growing up we seldom had any candy in the house or twinkies or suzy-q's. We had celery, carrots and dried fruits (raisins, dates, figs, apricots and the like). We had nuts of varying types but they were in the shell. I think this may have been my folks way of insuring we didn't eat too many and divert our colons.

I still love all this stuff and will go for years without having a candy bar.

mamabear

Trail Mix is good stuff and good for you if you don't eat too much. We generally use nuts, raisins and a few M & M's for sweetness. You are right Carmen. We can't keep it in the house.

carmen

We only made quick packs that were kept in the fridge until we headed out the door and were the last thing packed up. We always waited until the car or truck was filled with gear before we brought the cooler out with those snacks. Most of the time they were eaten on the way up to the camp grounds.

Another thing I read about this week was Japanese rice cracker mix. Has anyone tried this before?