Travel spices

Blueskyy

I came across this today and I thought it was so cute! What a great way to take all of your spices when you go camping without having to lug around a ton of stuff. This would come in especially handy for hikers!

Greatoutdoors

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea Blueskyy! I am not a Tic Tac fan myself, but I have some family who go through them like crazy. I will have to get them to save me some so I can do this.

wvbreamfisherman

Great idea!

The one I've used (aside from a little multi-compartment spice box I bought at Cabelas) is to use large drinking straws, cut them to the length you want, fold one end over and tape it, add spice and fold the other end over and tape it. You can write the name of the spice on it with a marker.

They're basically single -use and don't hold a lot, but they are cheap and handy.

Judy Ann

I have some little tubes that I purchased from a craft shop, but salt and pepper are from the cafeterias condiment section at work.

cabinfever

How the heck many spices are you taking along that makes this idea necessary? I only take salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. It is a cute idea and all, but I wouldn't need them.

Judy Ann

You'd be surprised at the number of gourmet cooks that are out there hiking on the trails. One couple I know are serious chili cook off competitors and another grows and blends his own special chili pepper blend. To show up without something special in the spice department with this group would be lame. Since I just add boiling water to my freezer bag cooking most of my spices are already included. I am a lazy cook on the trail and prefer simplicity instead of washing dishes!

Grandpa

How the heck many spices are you taking along that makes this idea necessary? I only take salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. It is a cute idea and all, but I wouldn't need them.
When backpacking, I just "add boiling water". But when we tailgate camp, grandma brings the entire kitchen. I'm only smart enough to use half a dozen spices, mainly salt, pepper, garlic, onion, mustard and ketchup, :tinysmile_twink_t2: but grandma and my daughers use all kinds of stuff that I can't even pronounce.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Amazing the flavor imparted from a can of beer in a pot of dutch oven taters. (And for the teetotalers, the alcohol is evaporated off) Does that count as a spice?

Last edited:

cabinfever

Beer is incredible for cooking and I do use that a lot, since there's usually beer in the cooler when I go camping, fishing or hunting. Nothing like the taste of brook trout basted in beer and roasted over an open fire.

Greatoutdoors

Great idea!

The one I've used (aside from a little multi-compartment spice box I bought at Cabelas) is to use large drinking straws, cut them to the length you want, fold one end over and tape it, add spice and fold the other end over and tape it. You can write the name of the spice on it with a marker.

They're basically single -use and don't hold a lot, but they are cheap and handy.
I have seen the same idea but for Neosporin and Vaseline for first aid kits. It's single use but they work well for day hikes. We don't use tape though, we just take a lighter and seal the ends. :)

Cappy

I long ago gave up trying to keep up with a bunch of spices. We have our own homemade Cajun style season all. We keep it in qt bag and use it on every thing. We have been tweeking the mix for years and finally have it the way we like it. One bag of blended seasonings for mea, fish, eggs, salads every thing. Soooo much easier than dumping ya pack out in search of a lost vial of garlic powder.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

OutdoorMomma

That's a great idea, and I'm going to have to use it next time we go camping. I guess it's time to buy up a ton of Tic Tacs! Thanks for the link.