Troll's Cajun Seasoning

Newanderthal

Down in South Louisiana, we like flavor, and nothing says flavor like homemade Cajun seasoning. A good Cajun seasoning is all purpose and this one is no exception. Use it to season meats, add flavor to soups, sprinkle over your salad, add it to fish, macaroni, even sprinkle some on your ham sandwich. Add a little for flavor or a lot for spice. This will make any camp food taste good. Even SPAM.

13 tsp salt
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder

For best results, mix in a cup, then grind with a mortar and pestle. You can use sodium free substitute in place of salt, but it tastes nasty if it isn't dissolved in your food. Do not use the substitute if you will be sprinkling the seasoning on things like salads and sandwiches. I make two batches. One to cook with that uses the salt substitute and a regular batch to keep on the table.

BTBoop

That sounds really good. When I am in a hurry though I use Tony Chachere or Slap your Mama. I am going to try this recipe though. Thanks!

Cappy

Tony Chacerie got the idea for his seasoning from CAMPERS:tinysmile_shy_t: He usta go to the camps along the Henderson levee south of US190 one of which was my familys. He noticed that most folks put all of their seasonings in a qt jar shook it up and used it on everything. Lots easier than lugging a basket full of seasonings back and forth to the camp. He loved the food at the camps so much he published a cook book from recipees he got from the campers. The first edition of his original cook book had the recipee for his seasoning in it. Folks told him he was nuts and it didn't take Tony long to realize the money was in the seasoning. The second edition had the recipee removed and the seasoning came for sale shortly after. It's still very good seasoning, only thing is we eat now a days with way less salt than we did back then. For us modern Cajuns Tonys is too salty and not spicy enough. Peg and I make our own just like newanderthal does. Oh and btw New.. that is a really cool forum name ya got. Wish I'da thunk it:tinysmile_fatgrin_t