Unexpected dangers in the outdoors

geogeek

Hey guys

I'm moving from South Africa to Ontario, Canada in a couple of months, and I wanted to find out about some general safety tips that I should be aware of?

For example, here in SA we don't really have poisonous plants (like poison ivy), but you always need to check your boots for scorpions or spiders before you put them on, there's a high probability that you'll pick up ticks if you walk in dense bush (and tick-bite fever is no fun - I've had it a couple of times), Cobras, Mambas, and Puffadders are the snakes you're most likely to encounter (the first two tend to flee when you approach, but Puffadders are nasty - they lie still until you're close, then strike), and although most spider bites / scorpion stings won't kill you, they hurt like hell.

What are the things I should be aware of when outdoors in Ontario?

Grandpa

Biggest live dangers would be people, moose, and bears. Good food management solves MOST bear problems. Situational awareness solves MOST people and moose problems. The 3 biggest dangers in the outdoors in North America are falls, drowning, and lightening.

ppine

Forester
Ontario can have thick woods and brush, flat terrain and lots of overcast conditions. It is pretty easy to get turned around. Be aware of your location at all times, especially off of established trails and waterways. Not many reptiles, much fewer predators. Do not underestimate moose. There can be lots of cold and wet conditions, even during the warmer months.

Pathfinder1

Ontario can have thick woods and brush, flat terrain and lots of overcast conditions. It is pretty easy to get turned around. Be aware of your location at all times, especially off of established trails and waterways. Not many reptiles, much fewer predators. Do not underestimate moose. There can be lots of cold and wet conditions, even during the warmer months.

Pathfinder1

Hi...!!

You're right about the moose...hard to believe how big they are until they get too close (or when YOU get too close to them)...!!

I was almost run down by one at my cold-country camp outside of Fairbanks...but I heard it coming, and managed to 'hide' until it disappeared...!!