Unqualified individuals on trips

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Practice hikes or not - if you exclude someone from a church sponsored trip it will come back on you. You must include everyone who wants to participate AND do everything in your control to make it enjoyable. Telling a church member they cannot go because they are too out of shape is a quick way to become un-church-sponsored. The church is there to help folks with spiritual growth and you need to keep that in mind. The end goal is not "we hiked 50 miles" but "I learned X about God/myself/etc".

catspa

I grew up in church (although you wouldn't know it now), and some of my fondest church memories were of youth group hikes and overnighters. One in particular, probly 6 or 8 miles - I was a doughy little kid and couldn't keep up with the group, but a leader named Wes stuck with me and we hiked slow while everybody else went on ahead. We got to camp about 45 minutes late IIRC, and he helped me get my camp gear straightened out and ready for supper. My imminent failure was a big deal to me, and he made it into a success.

Wherever you are Wes, thanks. I owe ya, big time.

Parker

ppine

Forester
Catspa,

Hiking and especially river trips are team sports. You are as strong as your weakest member. It is gratifying to hear how you still remember the kindness of that man when you needed it.

ppine

Forester
Pathfinder1,

You have hit on a really important topic. I love the "Random Acts of Kindness Movement." It is fun to use up your pocket change by putting it in parking meters. I like to hear when someone in line at a drive thru pays for the person behind them.

Life is short. Spend it with people that add something to it. Go out in the world and spread enthusiasm and gratitude. I spent some time in a wheel chair in 2007 and 2008. It really is great to be alive. Do something nice for someone you care about. Then volunteer to do something nice for someone you don't know. The rewards greatly outweigh the effort it takes.

One final thought. I was raised to be polite and offer to help. In WY I worked with a farm kid from North Dakota. He was raised to just get up and start helping. The difference in how it has affected my life is remarkable.

Last edited:

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
Why don't you try hiking in stages giving ones that cannot do the whole hike a chance to save face and have a turn around point. The more experienced hikers can go on ahead at the pace they want. I am sure you can find groups that will push the first or second day and join together hiking back to base camp or out if possible. This is a good way to keep everyone happy. Just remember you were a novice yourself and everyone has their own level. I am sure those that are challenging themselves will Thank you for the trip and I know God will remember your compasion for those you gave the chance.

briansnat

Platnium Member
First, don't assume by looking at someone that they can't cut it. I've been with some overweight hikers who are in excellent shape and can out hike many thinner people. Heck, I'm no twiggy myself at 240 lbs.

That said a "practice hike" is a very good idea. It will give the novices an idea as to what to expect. Many have no clue what real hiking is like. They think hiking is the same thing as walking and if they can walk a mile or two around town they think they can hike. A 7 or 8 mile practice hike over challenging terrain may self weed out the pretenders. Just make sure there are some escape outlets in case someone needs to bail out.

Having an unqualified person along can jeopardize everyone else's enjoyment of the trip. It's no fun worrying about someone who is having a difficult time, or worse yet, listening to them to whine the whole time. And depending on the location of the trip, an unqualified person can jeopardize the safety of others.

I disagree with those who insist you need to dumb down the trip so everyone who wants to can join. I'm sure there are plenty of church sponsored activities the everyone can join.

Perhaps an option might be to have two groups and give the attendees a choice. Have one for the 50 milers and design an easier one for the novices so they can experience the outdoors at a leisurely pace. Some of the meetup.com hiking groups around here do that. They start at the same place but the leisurely hike is far shorter.

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

Don't do just a practice hike. Do a practice camp out. 8 to 10 miles in, set up camp then next day 8 to 10 miles out. This will let them see how each day for 5 or 6 days is going to be. The ones who don't like it will drop out on their own after a two day trip.

TDale

A practice camp is a good idea. One of the best ideas I've ever heard: identify the slowest hiker in the group and put them in the lead.

BGreen

Sometimes an overweight and older person does much better than younger, thinner people who are just plain diva dudes. I wouldn't rule them out, but I would allow at a certain point to let those who want to leave the hike early to do so, and have rides at the ready to take them back.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Don't do just a practice hike. Do a practice camp out. 8 to 10 miles in, set up camp then next day 8 to 10 miles out. This will let them see how each day for 5 or 6 days is going to be. The ones who don't like it will drop out on their own after a two day trip.
Love that idea! You could have someone on standby to pick up those that want to bail after the first night. If these are old people, you may need "extraction points" somewhere every day... they may want to go on, but after the third night their body cant handle it any more and they need to go home.
Actually the same might be true for a twenty year old. A lifetime eating cheese-its and playing "Call of Duty" does not make for a hiker's physique, or the stamina that goes with walking 8 miles a day for several days.

I had a situation happen to me years ago - where I had to walk 13 miles to get help when my car broke down. I did it, it wasn't pleasant, but I could barely walk the next day. If I had to go another 13 miles (or even 4) I could not have done it. It was too painful and my muscles were done.

JeepThrills

I never did see how many miles the hike was going to be. A 5 mile hike is much different than a 20 mile hike. I know several older (and overweight) women that walk 5 to 10 miles a day and could easily leave a lot of younger people in a trial of dust.

The women at your church may already be exercising and want to step up to the next challenge. If there is doubt, the practice hike would be a simple way to let them know what to expect on the longer hike.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I always figured that an overweight, middle-aged woman who can walk seven miles in high heels through a shopping mall starting the day with a five pound purse and ending it with the purse and two shopping bags with about fifty pounds of goods in them is someone I would have no qualms about hiking with on a trail.

Eppo

The Seattle Mountaineers club requires members to complete some "conditioner's" as they call them before new members can sign up for certain climbs and hikes.