USMC ILBE Generation 2 Backpack Opinions

Hikenhunter

Looks like a good sturdy pack. Most military packs are proven and they are usually tough enough to handle your needs but they also tend to weigh a little bit more than civilian backpacks do. All in all for 60 bucks I wouldn't be afraid to give that pack a try.

Mudder

^ My thoughts exactly, @Hikenhunter. I've been doing some Googling -- I hear they're made like a tank but also weigh like a tank. I'll have to check out the backpack tomorrow in person. (It's a Craigslist ad and I have first dibs on it since I texted him first.)

Edit:
I hear that the Generation 1's are a "militarized" Arcteryx Bora 95. Arcteryx is like the Rolls Royce of the camping world. I hear that Arcteryx also designed and manufactured the Generation 2's, but I don't know -- All the reading online is started to blur together :)

Last edited:

OwenM

Big and very heavy for a backpacking pack. Design by ArcTeryx, manufacture by Propper. Should have a label to that effect. $60 sounds pretty good if you need a pack like that. I wouldn't buy it just because it's $60, though...

Mudder

^ With my blue collar budget, I'D PURCHASE IT FOR $60 :)

What's an 8-10lb pack, anyways? :p

Grandpa

Mudder, if you want cheap but serviceable take a look at the top pack here.Hiking Packs @ EverestBags.com

Grandma bought some of these to get the SIL's of the couches several years ago and they held up good. One has seen several hundred miles of backpacking. None have had any failures.

Mudder

Yes, the ILBE Generation I is designed by Arc'teryx (the Rolls Royce of outdoor gear) with their "Arc'teryx's Law Enforcement and Armed Forces "LEAF" program," so says lame Wikipedia, and manufactured by Propper. Good point, @OwenM.

Not much stuff online about the Generation II ILBE main pack.

Either way, I'm sold at $60, with cap & waist strap. Maybe, someday, when I'm rich, I'll get a nice lightweight Arc'teryx $450 pack.

Mudder

Mudder, if you want cheap but serviceable take a look at the top pack here.Hiking Packs @ EverestBags.com
Too late, buddy :). I'm getting that practically new USMC ILBE Generation II for 60 bones :). Maybe someday, when I'm rich, I'll get a civilian $550 Arc'Teryx sack that easily snags on branches and gets trashed. In the meantime, I snagged a deal. :)

Mudder

I'll add that the USMC ILBE II was fun to Google and research. Some insane stuff that we all have to respect those guys at that actually use them. Badass, all the militants.

oldsarge

These packs were designed to carry way more than the average backpacker would ever consider carrying. If you don't mind the little extra weight of this pack, you'll have a great pack that will last you a long time. I think you got a great buy. I may even look into getting one. The only drawback to this is the cammo. Civilian backpacking doesn't require stealthiness. Some would say that brighter colors are safer when traveling outdoors. Personally I don't mind the cammo and can easily hang something bright on it to help others see me. I think this pack is a good improvement over the old style ALICE pack the military used. I still have mine and it's in great condition after over 25 years.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Yes, the ILBE Generation I is designed by Arc'teryx (the Rolls Royce of outdoor gear) with their "Arc'teryx's Law Enforcement and Armed Forces "LEAF" program," so says lame Wikipedia, and manufactured by Propper. Good point, @OwenM.

Not much stuff online about the Generation II ILBE main pack.

Either way, I'm sold at $60, with cap & waist strap. Maybe, someday, when I'm rich, I'll get a nice lightweight Arc'teryx $450 pack.
Cant say I would ever pay the premium price for Arc'teryx. I have a Deuter ACT Zero Light MSRP of 180 that I like better than the Arc'teryx. Yes I tested both.

But hey for 60 buck you got a work horse. Not a bad deal depending on the capacity for that price I may have picked on up as well.

Last edited:

ponderosa

I'd have grabbed that because I think it's big enough for me to ride inside. Then I'd just have to find someone to carry it and hitch a ride over the pass.

Mudder

Update:

I'm in love with this pack. I took it all apart (shoulder straps, waist belt, cap, inner divider, the thicker aluminum rods, ect) and washed it. It took 2 loads because of its oblong size for the washer but, WOW, it cleaned up very nice. The pack is in awesome condition. It could use some new shoulder straps that I found on Amazon for $30 but it'll still work quite nice for now.

This thing is huge. I'm 6ft tall and can barely reach to the bottom of the pack with my arm. My only complaint is lack of organization. There's only the main bag's optional divider (that I'll never use) that divides the top from the bottom, and the cap. The exterior elastic pockets are too short for bottles (I think they're for to carry guns on each side but not sure). But, I can get the assault pack to add onto the exterior. I'm just going to use my $39 Fieldline tactical pack from Walmart, that I use for hunting, to add onto it -- Works well with a longer strap -- You ILBE II owners will know what I mean.

All in all, I'm happy with it. For people on a budget wanting a nice huge backpack, I highly suggest getting one. Totally customizable to fit, and every component is replaceable. Even the chest strap moves up and down, and you can bend the aluminum rods (frame) to tilt the waist belt, and etc etc etc. On Amazon.com, you can get them for $60 with cap and waist belt. It's a bargain, in my opinion.

I'll be making an internal cage out of small PVC piping for it eventually.

Two thumbs and two big toes up!

Last edited: