Venison tenderloin

Judy Ann

One of my patients brought in a bag of venison including a tenderloin. I would normally grill it to a perfect medium rare, but thought I'd ask for suggestions first. Yummy!!!

Grandpa

Just my opinion Judy, but even though I prefer my beef med rare, venison is better at medium.

ponderosa

Venison is so lean, I personally prefer it in the oven instead of a grill. I think it gets too dry on the grill. (I don't like to grill skinless chicken for the same reason). For large cuts, I sear and then braise or roast it with garlic and onion. For steaks I use a hot cast iron pan and cook it quickly to keep the juices in, medium for me as well.

Judy Ann

Venison is so lean, I personally prefer it in the oven instead of a grill. I think it gets too dry on the grill. (I don't like to grill skinless chicken for the same reason). For large cuts, I sear and then braise or roast it with garlic and onion. For steaks I use a hot cast iron pan and cook it quickly to keep the juices in, medium for me as well.
Thanks for the cooking suggestion and I'll go for medium. I love venison and this will be a much appreciated treat. I'm thinking about adding some diced apple, black and red pepper and some fennel seed to some ground venison for sausage one morning. Do you think the apple will add enough moisture? Meatballs in hunter sauce for the kids at work will finish off the care package nicely!

ponderosa

I've never made sausage, so I don't know. The flavor combination sounds great though; I love fennel with apples. We ate deer/antelope/elk several times a week when I was a kid, but I don't get it much anymore. I miss it!

Susie

When I make a pork tenderloin, I like to marinate it for a day and then cook it slowly on the grill. I never tried venison tenderloin, but I would imagine it's similar.

Judy Ann

Ponderosa you were lucky to have grown up eating three of my absolute favorite meats. I was so desperate for venison a few years ago that I shot a buck myself. Won't be doing that again!

I got lucky this year when a coworker mentioned that between her husband and sons they have more venison than they can eat. We bartered a little and I'll cook up some roasts and other dishes for her family and the boys will keep me stocked with venison. I love cooking so it is a win/win for all of us!

I appreciated your feedback. Sometimes it can be difficult creating the sensation of fat in a very lean meat thus the healthy version of sausage.

Stay warm!

southerngal

This thread is making me hungry! Hubby hasn't gotten a deer yet this year, but one of his buddies is giving us the meat from one he got this weekend! This will be my first time cooking venison so I appreciate all the tips here. :)

ppine

Forester
Deer are athletic animals with very little fat. The tenderloin is a great cut, but benefits immensely from the addition of some fat like bacon. I like to cook tenderloin in slices in a pan with bacon, onions and garlic with something a little balsamic vinegar or sw rub.

It does well in a dutch oven or casserole dish with a cover to keep it moist. If you can get your hands on elk or moose the fat problem is less of an issue. Buffalo is a great thing to cook for Thanksgiving.

Judy Ann

Dove hunting season was a time for the guys to show off their cooking skills and one of my favorites was marinated tenderloin cut into chunks, wrapped in banana peppers with bacon covering the outside and then grilled. Oh so good, but I really try to eat healthy so bacon is reserved for the summers first tomatoes and a couple of BLTs. This thread makes me very hungry!

charley

That tenderloin is the best cut of venison treat it nice. If you want it very healthy use non stick so you don't need fat. Cook it quick and hot.