Walking sticks?

evergreen

Do you actually need them, I have seen a lot of people in there mid 30's also using them and I can't imagine them being anything other than an inconvenience, what are your thoughts?

SmackontheWeb

I've tried the trekking poles and did not like them. Certain types of terrain (steep inclines, boulders, dense woods) make them unwieldy. I had to concentrate too much on the poles (where/how I was placing them) instead of the trail and my feet. Personally, I've always managed with just a plain ol' walking stick.

Michael

I've tried hiking poles, and I've tried plain old walking sticks. I have a slight preference for walking sticks.

I find that the more you deviate from level ground, the more helpful walking sticks are. They're especially good for going down steep, uneven hills, because they offer extra stability.

scarynickname

I never was much for walking sticks, but last Christmas my wife bought me a set of hiking poles and now I feel like they are my second set of legs! They really come in handy while bushwacking.

Noah

I never used anything until last year. My father-in-law made me a walking stick and it is amazing in design. I used it for the first time last spring and would have to say I don't leave home without it now.

jason

fear no beer
I typically use a 5 foot wood walking stick. I find it great for knocking down spider webs, testing for snakes, and support when needed.

HikingGuy

I was told that walking sticks are great for an extra cardio workout, they force you to work harder and burn more calories. I find them a hassle.

Michael

I was told that walking sticks are great for an extra cardio workout, they force you to work harder and burn more calories.
That seems counterintuitive to me. Stuff that's better for cardio is generally stuff that involves larger muscles. Using a walking stick takes some of the strain off of your legs by having your arms take some of the load. This is decreasing the work being done by larger muscles, which generally means less cardio.

evergreen

Walking poles have straps if I'm not mistaken, one would think that given a bad situation they might entangle your wrists or stop you from griping something that is near you, has this happened to anyone?

bokz

I have never used one but I prefer hiking poles instead of walking sticks. I am much more comfortable using the former than the latter.

JDSport

I like using walking sticks rather than the hiking poles. I am more comfortable and my walking sticks are all designed for my tall frame, where as the poles not so much.

woodsman

I mainly use a stick myself to check out the surroundings when the undergrowth is to thick to see clearly other than that my legs work just fine so I stick with using what God gave me.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I prefer a 5' staff as well, but a good walking stick has served me well too - especially in rough terrain. Any place where extra balance would be beneficial is a good place to have a stick of some kind, even if you just grab one from the forest as you go. I find the staff a little more versatile and better suited for the terrain I most often travel in, which is heavily wooded, rough, and often very steep.

IndianaHiker

Black Diamond Syncro Elliptic Trekking Poles | Reviews
I love mine.

Using the polse does take some getting used to. For me i had to walk with them for about 20 minutes to get the hang of it. The are great for climbing hills as this allows you to use both you arms and legs to push off with. The provide a better balance of rough or uneven terrian. Pols also help take stress of knees when carrying a heavy pack.

Last edited:

Darby MountainDog

I will hike anywhere
When i first got in to hiking, i never thought of getting either. but i went for a hike one day with friend, and he let me borrow one of his hiking poles to climb a steep hill (when i mean steep i mean, almost strait up), he had one i had the other, then we hit the trail, i was golden with only one. but i saved my money and got a set. and now i am grateful i got them. you can use them all year round and they have the snow caps on them, unlike walking sticks they seem to be only good for roads, and down hills.

but hiking poles can be used for making lean-toos, and helping set up teepee tents.

Peesalot

I am definitely a trekking pole user. I use mine for support while descending, as well as, climbing. The poles can be adjusted so I shorten them when using them to ascend and lengthen them for the descents. They not only help with my knee issues, but they also keep my hands from swelling since they are always elevated and swinging whearas without my poles I almost immediately notice the swelling. I have not had an issue with getting tangled in the straps....yet. :tinysmile_hmm_t2: I've gone on some shorter hikes and opted to leave the poles in the truck, but find I am more comfortable with them than without and since they shorten right up and attach nicely to the back of my pack I can't really see any reason to leave them behind too often.

Camoguy

Actually, I have found using a walking stick makes the walking much, much easier. I can't see how they would provide any type of cardiac exercise. But I do have a fondness for my walking stick, I use it for a bit of everything.

Darby MountainDog

I will hike anywhere
i am not sure how they exercise ethier but i have read in backpacker magazine, and stuff but people that use trekking poles get more calories then people with out.