warmups and stretches

Colin

How many do any warmups or streches before you go for a hike? Do you find a difference if you do not do this?

jason

fear no beer
I honestly can say I do not do any warm ups. It is sad really. I do not do them when I ride either. I really should, but I tend to forget.

atula

I try to do some basic warm up routines like streching....and it does help to relax and loosen the muscles....

Taggart

That's something that I haven't done either.

When I'm out walking and see other people stretching, it seems to me that they do it part way through their walk or run, like when they're waiting to cross a road.

Does that make sense?

Bushman

Basic leg and upper body stretches help get the muscles warm and limber, which helps reduce the risk of injuries like a strain or a pulled muscle during the hike.

Granted you could do all the stretches in the world and still get injured or you could do no stretches at all and be fine, but I find that stretching for just a few minutes before a hike reduces the amount of fatigue and soreness I feel when the hike is over.

2coastcamper

I've got to admit, I probably never do any stretches or warming up before a hike. But, one could also make the argument that for many of the activities I do, the hike itself is usually serving as a warm up or sorts. I hike a pretty good jaunt before I climb the rocks on the coast. I hike a good jaunt on the flat lands before I even get to the hilly parts. As for kayaking, taking those jokers off the roof of the car and getting everything ready for the water is a warm-up in itself.

But before a hike? Usually, I don't do any warming up.

Wild Bill

I can honestly say I don't ever stretch before a hike, personally I think its a waste of time. I really don't see how doing all that stretching and what not will help you with your hike.

outdoorgirl

I do stretch some if I am going on a long hike. It helps to warm up my muscles. I am prone to leg cramps and they usually hit me half way through my hike (every time)-if I warm up a few minutes before, my do not cramp up.

Hikker_Jim

To me taking a Trek or Hike doesn't seem like exercise to me. Whenever I go for a long walk I don't stretch because to me it's just walking! I don't tend to cramp up either, I'm very fit!

atula

I too have this leg cramp thing that I often get and that is why it does become important to stretch the muscles before any routine...it does help me.

failghe

I don't stretch before I get going, I just go. Sometimes I start out for a couple mile walk and end up going for 5-10 miles. I don't cramp up. Maybe because I get alot of stretching from my job. Crawling through attics, getting down on the floor, up ladders, etc. very rough on my body. But pretty limber.

Katydid

I stretch not only before my hike, but I also stretch after as well, especially if it's a strenuous hike. I really get a good workout when I go on my hikes and I see this stretching as my cool-down. I feel so much better the next day if I stretch my muscles out.

Tomboy

I would love to say that I stretch out every time I go for a hike, but I do forget many times. I'm usually so ready just to get going that I don't even think about stretching. I know it's a good idea, and probably should get more in the habit of stretching each time.