Washing Dishes

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Even biodegradable soap?! Is this really true? What is the point of biodegradable soap then if it hurts the environment. I had no idea about this.
What's the point? I'll let you be the judge.

Using a biodegradable soap doesn’t reduce its immediate environmental impact, it just means that the soap will biodegrade over time. All soaps, including biodegradable ones, will contaminate our lakes, streams and ocean.

What does biodegradable mean? By definition it means capable of being decomposed by biological agents like bacteria. Materials are usually deemed biodegradable if they break down to at least 90% H2O, CO2 and biomass within 6 months.
Biodegradable soap is NOT biodegradable when it ends up in a waterway. It will degrade over time, but it require soil for it to breakdown properly.

EmberMike

Even biodegradable soap?! Is this really true? What is the point of biodegradable soap then if it hurts the environment. I had no idea about this.
Biodegradable soaps will have less impact on water over time because they'll break down faster. But they still can have an immediate negative impact on the environment, especially bodies of water. Fish and plants that come in contact with any soap can be harmed. And even away from water, biodegradable soaps can be taken to water by rain and runoff before they have enough time to break down.

It's still advisable to use biodegradable soap to reduce long-term effects on the environment. But you also have to be conscious of short-term effects before biodegradation can take place.

Grandpa

Backpacking, hot water a piece of scotchbrite. About the only washing necessary is the cup used for oatmeal or ramen and the spoon.

Tailgate camping, paper plates and cups to minimize duties, never use soap in the dutch ovens. Usually, a little hot soapy water for everything else which is dumped away from streams and away from medium to high traffic areas.

mccallum

Car camping we have a dish pan that we do the soap and hot water thing then pour a bit more over to rinse. Our camp is always far enough away from water to not cause issues. Also Kansas soil is fairly sandy so it is a great filter for just about anything!

If I were hiking I would boil water and dip that which need sanitizing.

Marlowe

We do more boat camping these days on an old 26' sail. The chore is lessened by paper and plastic for utensils when the type food allows it. For pans and cookware we do the 2 dishpan method with hot water. A drop of Dawn goes a long way.