Water Purifier

Stargazer

I am looking for an efficient, low-cost water purifier to use while camping. Does anyone here use a purifier or do you carry all your water in? We went camping for a week this past summer and used a lot of space carrying in water.

wvbreamfisherman

Katadyn Hiker Pro works for me. We used it every day for a 50-mile section hike of the AT. I always carried a few coffee filters as a prefilter for grubby water, but never needed them.

I have a dropper bottle of alum solution and one of swimming pool coagulatant to knock the worse solids out of turbid water. Add a few drops of each to a bucketful of muddy water and stir it up, then let it sit. In a few minutes the solids will clump up and settle out, them you can pour off the clear water, or use the filter on it.

I also carry chlorinating tablets. All this stuff will fit in the case for the filter, so you have plenty of options.

Just my $0.02

Grandpa

I have had excellent results with the hiker pro as well. And thanks WV for the tip on alum and swim pool coagulant. That is a great idea. I have filtered some pretty nasty stuff down in the canyons. Water so bad, we had to push the leeches and gordian worms out of the way to get to the green water. Like WV said, coffee filters are a part of the system, covering the inlet tube.

Actually, my hiker pro is not even original anymore. While furiously pumping water in a downpour in the Weminuche, I broke the handle off the pump. I called katadyn tio see if I could buy a replacement. They said "no you can't buy a new one. We are sending you a new one free." Last year, after many years of faithful service, a little pinhole leak developed in a seam. Again, a new housing, free of charge was in the mail as soon as I called. I'm sure they will continue to send replacement parts as long as I continue to buy those expensive filters. However, I usually get two seasons out of a filter by backflushing and drying between each trip.

Beware the squeeze bottles. Nearly every one I have seen will have a slight leak around the threads when squeezing the bottle. And that puts untreated water right in with the clean.

There are straws and tubes that filter but remember, the smaller the filter the less overall capacity. There are also many ways to treat the water to kill all pathogens. WV mention chlorinating tablets. Also, products like aqua mira. These work well except some means of filtering solids must also be used. The same for steripens. They use UV to kill all pathogens, however, they are electronic and have been known to fail.

For really cheap, a one liter clear plastic empty pop bottle, with a recycle code of 1, left in the sun for at least six hours will also kill all pathogens via ultra violet rays. Kind of a slow way to git r done but something to remember in an emergency.

Last edited:

Barney

Katadyn Hiker Pro has been my choice for years. I don't see the need for more expensive water purifiers than this one. It purifies water just fine and it's relatively cheap.

offtrail

Sawyer Mini SP 126

I am looking for an efficient, low-cost water purifier to use while camping. Does anyone here use a purifier or do you carry all your water in? We went camping for a week this past summer and used a lot of space carrying in water.
I did quite a bit of searching for my first water filter and found this. It's the Saywer Mini SP 128 what I like about it is no moving parts to break. Also no pumping, it comes with a drinking straw for a quick swig of water. Ill post a video so you can check it out.Sawyer "MINI" SP128 review by Chad Poindexter - YouTube

Last edited:

offtrail

After years of filter pumps, I've gone to the Sawyer Squeeze. So far I'm really liking it.
This is my first, I always carry water when i'm out hiking but you never know when you may need more water for whatever reason. I'm not sure about using the mini in my area as it has a lot of industries all up and down the river. Plus many towns and sewage treatment plants that discharge into the river. I love the outdoors so much that I make the best of what I have available.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
This is my first, I always carry water when i'm out hiking but you never know when you may need more water for whatever reason. I'm not sure about using the mini in my area as it has a lot of industries all up and down the river. Plus many towns and sewage treatment plants that discharge into the river. I love the outdoors so much that I make the best of what I have available.
The Squeeze/Mini Squeeze are just for biological( cooties ). I've seen on YouTube where some have made in line activated charcoal filters and MSR (I think) has an in line charcoal filter to take care of chemicals.

Hikenhunter

My first filter was a First Need, I still have it but it filters so well that it clogs easily in even the clearest waters. I used a MSR Sweetwater Gardian for many years but I broke it 2 years ago and it couldn't be repaired so after a bit of research I bought the Katadyn Hiker Pro and it has served me well so far. That sawyer filter has got my attention though. It might be in my future.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
For a lot of water 3-5 gallons at a time I use a First Need. It's about the best filter out there, and fast, and can be field serviced. For a few gallons, maybe 1 or 2 at a time a Sawyer is the cheapest thing out there. I bought one for 34 bucks. A first need or similar pump filter is 80-120 dollars.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've owned a number of filters but gave them away or sold them. The one I kept is the Katadyn Hiker. Easy to use, great flow rate, well made.

ppine

Forester
I like to bring a water filter even on day hikes. In warm weather it is good to drink cool water. This dry country and I don't like to carry any more water than is necessary.

I gave up on the old First Need filter. Tried a gravity feed filter but it did not work. I also have gone to the Katadyn brand.

texan4ut

Katadyn Hiker Pro is what I use. I do some river trips where you are gone for 3-4 days at a time and in a kayak you can't carry a whole lot and since water is weight and bulk the Hiker Pro is great. I always have water and in the winter it is cold water (-: