Water shoes - seriously?

campclose

I went hiking with my family yesterday at the local state park. I could not believe the number of people I saw on the trails with water shoes on. They are just asking for disaster. There are a lot of loose rocks, gravel and stones on these trails. I've seen many people slip and fall when they were wearing hiking boots or sneakers. What in the world are some people thinking?

TakeAHike

I don't even wear water shoes in the water for goodness sakes! I can't imagine wearing them to go hiking in. They have absolutely no support for your foot or ankle. Are you sure that they weren't the Five Finger style shoes that are so popular these days?

CozInCowtown

I see stuff like that everywhere I go besides hiking.
Gene pool is self cleaning and I have very little sympathy for peoples stupidity.
Some of the best lessons in life are learned the hard way.
So, your little shoes failed ya'? What do you want me to do, carry your fat butt back to camp??? Sorry bud, enjoy your education, this class is free and priceless!
JMO,
Coz

Pathfinder1

Hi...

And thanks for my first chuckle of the pee em...!!

Yeah, they've got shoes for about everything now...walking, speed-walking, jogging, running, water, climbing, hiking, golf, driving, lounging, biking, five-finger...and so forth.

If you've got the big (usually) bucks for the next fad that comes around, many people will jump at the chance (do they have shoes for jumping?). Remember Oprah on her recent jaunt to Switzerland? She was in a shop and asked to look at (get this now) an eighteen thousand dollar purse...!! They told her "No"...!!. (If anything, the price I quoted may have been bit low).

Grandpa

The purse was $38,000. The clerk told her the price and said they didn't let "just anybody" walk in and handle it. Ms. Winfrey threw a tizzy, played the race card and turned it into an international incident, demanding and getting an apology. It has since come to light just what was said and now Oprah is the one apologizing.

Oprah 'sorry' for Switzerland's flap

Michael

I hike in sandals all the time and have for years. Off trails, with inclines, over rough terrain. I go pretty fast while I'm doing it, and I leap onto and over things while I do it.

Do you know what I was wearing the last time I turned my ankle? Boots. Maybe a decade ago.

I'm not saying that everyone's got the ankle strength that I do, but don't think that people are foolish just because they wear lighter footwear than you. The Romans legions conquered nations while wearing sandals.

ChadTower

I hike in sandals from time to time too. Sometimes up steep inclines. The only real thing I ever worry about is traction and if the sandals have it they are OK in my book.

People are stronger and more capable of more physical activity with less gear than they seem to think.

IHeartDirt

A friend of mine just finished the Appalachian Trail and said that he met some hikers that were wearing flip flops for the entire trail. That just spells disaster to me.

Newanderthal

I could not believe the number of people I saw on the trails with water shoes on.
Are you sure they were water shoes? Many of the minimalist shoes look like water shoes at first glance. They take some getting used to, but they excel on rough terrain.

Pathfinder1

The purse was $38,000. The clerk told her the price and said they didn't let "just anybody" walk in and handle it. Ms. Winfrey threw a tizzy, played the race card and turned it into an international incident, demanding and getting an apology. It has since come to light just what was said and now Oprah is the one apologizing.

Oprah 'sorry' for Switzerland's flap

Hi...

WOW...guess I was a tad off, eh...?? :tinysmile_hmm_t: Thanks for the correction.

Judy Ann

I like hiking in my Keen sandals better than my hiking shoes when there are a lot of water crossings during the summer. They dry fast and have good support, plus the toes are covered.

Grandpa

Yep, with a lot of water crossings, I have traveled a few miles carrying a backpack and wearing my crocs. Coyote Gulch down in Utah's grand staircase region, required nothing but crocs for three straight days. If you dried your feet and rebooted every time you came out of the water, it would take two weeks. Pariah Canyon, Buckskin Gulch and Zions Narrows also require backpacking while wearing water shoes. The last time I wore leather boots was in Yellowstone's cascade corner. I had dollar size blisters from constantly getting my feet wet, either from crossing streams or just walking across the meadows before the dew burned off in the mornings. Water shoes are a necessity when backpacking in there.

Last edited:

Theo

eyebp's mentor
In the history of mankind, boots are a relative new invention. Folks have been getting around just fine in all types of terrain wearing sandals or moccasins.

ppine

Forester
There are now water shoes that are fine for hiking. I bought some for the side hikes in the Grand Canyon which are typically up the stream channels. They drain quickly, protect the toes and have good arch support and traction. Try a pair. I wear them when boating, especially if wading is involved.

ponderosa

Yep, there is a big difference between dept store flip flops and a good technical sport sandal (teva, keen, chacos, etc). I've hiked many happy miles in good sandals, and even for big backpacking trips just use trail shoes. Heavy high topped boots aren't for everyone. HYOH.

And did this trail system lead to a good swimming hole by any chance? Just wondering.

Last edited:

OutdoorMomma

I see that a lot around here too. I even asked a few of them why the were wearing them and some of them seriously told be that it was because they didn't want to get their shoes wet. We also saw a few of them go down on some of the trails.

I noticed a lot of those toe shoes. I've never really understood them, but my brother in law hikes in them.

carmen

I know some of the kids in our area do wear real water shoes and I never understand that. We have a few spots where you can swim or hike, the parents are all wearing hiking shoes but they let their kids run around in whatever they want.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I respectfully disagree with you. Winfrey is a positive force for change in this country. She is apologizing because she has class and wants the people that screwed up to be forgiven. She didn't mention the name of the store on purpose.

When a black person is told that they can't see something in a store that is not right. Its also not right if it is a white person or some other color.

campclose

They were certainly water shoes. Water shoes don't really have any tread.

I saw the story about Oprah. I am so tired of her. Oh... they wouldn't show me the purse because I am black. Give me a break. The poor cashier is worried about her job now.