What animals have you seen on the trail?

JeepThrills

I have a friend who keeps up with the different birds that she sees. I really don't ever see many different small birds, but I have seen turkeys, buzzards. I've also seen deer, chipmunks, rabbits and a snake.

Grandpa

About every Rocky Mountain animal except a wolverine. I really don't pay much attention to the birds because there are so many but I've seen and recognized dozens.

Bojib

I thought about taking up bird watching, mostly from the front porch. I see probably dozens of different types when sitting on the porch, but I can only name a couple different ones. I'd like to learn what all the others are.

Need me a good set of binoculars, and a nice new 400mm or better camera lens. More importantly, I need the money to get those sorts of things.

eyebp

Senator
I saw a bear cub once but I don't have a picture. And I have seen a gazillion armadillos. What else? Let me think. Tons of snakes. But I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Fox, turkeys, deer, wild hogs.

Grandpa

I saw a bear cub once but I don't have a picture. And I have seen a gazillion armadillos. What else? Let me think. Tons of snakes. But I have never seen a rattlesnake in the wild.
Ouch this reminds me I lied. I have yet to see an armadillo as well as a wolverine. Possums, coons, nutria, and ring tailed cat, yes, but never an armadillo. Oh, and gotta add sasquatch to the not seen as well.

Every time I have seen a bear up close, I had other things on my mind than taking a picture.

Last edited:

eyebp

Senator
Tons of squirrels.

Lots of fish

Lots of gators

Last edited:

eyebp

Senator
Ouch this reminds me I lied. I have yet to see an armadillo as well as a wolverine. Possums, coons, nutria, and ring tailed cat, yes, but never an armadillo. Oh, and gotta add sasquatch to the not seen as well.

Every time I have seen a bear up close, I had other things on my mind than taking a picture.
The cub I saw we were actually in the car pulling out of the wilderness. But it was still pretty cool.

eyebp

Senator
Found a mess of chicken feathers deep inside the Sipsey Wilderness.

Hikenhunter

stray dogs, feral cats, deer,squirrels, chipmunks,several snakes including a couple of rattlesnakes and a few copperheads,tons of birds some I reconized some I didn't, black bear,salamanders,turtles,three girls and two guys hiking naked on the AT(the girls weren't really naked, just topless),and I'm sure there were more but I can't think of them right now.

Barney

Recently I saw two rabbits running like crazy from something. They passed almost 5 feet away from us. To me that was very strange. I was more afraid what could be arriving after them, but nothing did.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

"On" the trail? I don't know.

On AND off the trail? Most land mammals found in the US and Canada. Polar Bears and Mountain Lions are ones I've not seen, plus a few other ones...peccaries, civits, jaguars come to mind.

I've even seen "Champ"...the Lake Champlain monster. (It really was a swimming beaver that a tourist filmed, believing it was Champ...!!)

Grandpa

Hi...

I've even seen "Champ"...the Lake Champlain monster. (It really was a swimming beaver that a tourist filmed, believing it was Champ...!!)
Amazing how big a wake on a still lake a beaver or muskrat can make. Especially when they are carting along half a tree.

JeepThrills

I have never seen a live armadillo. I realized I forgot about my night hikes. I have also seen a possum, a family of raccoons, and one coyote.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Around here: lots of different birds but I'm not a big bird fan so I don't pay much attention. I like to listen to them in the mornings though. Squirrel, rabbit, deer, black bear, shrew, mole, boomers (red squirrel), coyote, elk (mostly from car), around 8 species of snake, around 8 species of salamander, too many spiders, bats, fish, opossum, ground hog, chipmunks, wild hog, owls (one bird I like), turkey (hate to come across these), grouse, fox, river otter (cool), and mice (lots). I would like to see a bobcat in the wild. We have a high population but they are generally nocturnal and really don't like people.

From travels: too many to list but highlights are manta ray, brown bear, gator, big horn sheep, bald eagle.

ppine

Forester
I have seen armadillos in Texas crossing the road, and only one wolverine in Alaska working above tree line at about 2,800 feet. Saw a cougar last fall in broad daylight.

Cappy,
That is why traveling is important- to be in another guy's world for awhile. Pocupines are common in the northern part of the US, but hated by foresters because they climb trees and eat the leaders of trees, including the terminal leader (treetop).

Last edited:

Cappy

On our recent road trip I saw what was my first ever porcupine that wern't in a zoo. unfortunately he was road kill.:tinysmile_hmm_t2: I made Peggy stop da car and got out and took his picture. Believe it or not I was thrilled to take another critter offn my aint seen yet list. To do it I hadda travel 1700 miles When ya live and work outdoors like I do there aint much I aint seen around here. So its always a thrill to see something strange to me:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Greatoutdoors

Well, today I saw a black bear and a bald eagle but we were at a nature preserve so that's probbaly not exactly what you meant!

ladymtnwalker

I've seen black bears, cougars, eagles, osprey's, barred owls, blacktail deer, mule deer, whitetail deer, big horn sheep, mountain goats, squirrels, hoary marmots, tons of birds: clark's nutcrackers, gray jays, robins, goshawk, red-tail hawks, blue sage grouse, stellar jays, mountain chickadees, mountain blue birds, mountain grouse, quails, raccoons, hares, foxes, moose, roosevelt elk, I'm sure there are many more, but can't think right now.