What kind of eating utensils do you use...

Pathfinder1

Hi...

What kind of eating utensils do you use when you're afield? I have a fantastic two-piece set that nests together. It is made of some kind of super tough "plastic". Lexan, perhaps?

One is a spork, and the other is a small rectangular spatula, with a knife edge on one side, and a serrated edge on the other side. They weigh very little, and are about nine inches long. Handles are about six inches long.

They have three different sized round holes for hanging up (or measuring spagetti, if you were so inclined), and fit nicely through a loop outside my BOB.

They are marked Guyotdesigns.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I use the REI TI ware spoon. I looked for the link but it seems they no longer carry it. Bummer cause it's a great long handled spoon. Perfect for freezer bag or dehydrated meals. It's also titanium so it's strong and lightweight.

Sea-To-Summit makes one from aluminum but the edges get sharp and it can cut your lips. Not a good spoon.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I just grab a spoon out of the drawer. No sense re-inventing the wheel. Besides, most backpacking eating utensils are sporks and I don't like spoons with sharp points on them.

Sporks. Madison Avenue at its finest. Lousy at the spoon part and crappy at the fork part but backpackers will buy them in droves because it will do two things at once.

Cappy

My one and only eating utincil for years is a spoon as well. It's old beat up steal spoon bigger than a Table spoon smaller than a cooking spoon with a long handle.the edge is sharp enough to cut all but the toughest meat, and its great for baggie stuff as well. Like an old friend me and that ole spoon have ahd many an adventure. It's on the boat now but only cause i knew we wernt goin campin.

Gondor

Titanium spork for eating is always my choice but for cooking I use light wooden spatula. It saves my non-stick pans and pots from scratches.

CozInCowtown

I don't do alot of backpacking so one of them plastic "kits" with fork, spoon & knife with salt/pepper and napkin tossed in the bottom of my hunting pack.
We use the camper most of the time so we just use plastic disposable with paper plates. Toss'em in the garbage bag then bags in the first dumpster we come across.
DC

Last edited:

Barney

I'm using some metal spork usually but plastic variants come into play when there is a lot of people and I need to haul in a big cooking set.

Michael

I bought a set of titanium utensils. I bring all three with me when I go to work, but I tend to only bring the spoon with me when camping. Because, for the most part, the utensil you need the most is a spoon.

I've already got knives with me, and I have no issue using a Mora or Victorinox to cut stuff up. So no need to carry another.

Anything you need a fork for, you can probably eat with a spoon. If you can't, it's easy enough to make chop sticks out of wood; it takes like three minutes.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I'm a ultralight freak. I carry nothing, just make chopsticks in the field and toss them in the morning.
Just kiddding! Had a lexan spoon for years, but went to a titanium spork last year.

Michael

I think I've asked this before, GD, but what sort of knife is that? It's just the sort of thing that I really like.

Lamebeaver

I have a lexan fork and spoon (I leave the knife behind) I often carry a ss spoon, depending on what cooking pot I'm carrying