Whatever happened to walking?

Simplify

I have come to the conclusion that modern day people have become 'glued to their cars' and have virtually forgotten how to walk.

I see people driving their cars just to go one block down the street to their friends house, parents driving their kids a half a block down the street to the school bus stop, people circling the store parking lot waiting for a space near the front when the back of the parking lot is wide open but they don't want to walk 50 yards across the parking lot to the store?

Seriously, do people even know how to walk anymore? It is like the idea of walking has disappeared from their minds altogether.

It is a sad commentary on our society when people can't even walk one block.

ChadTower

Kids sitting in cars at the bus stop 500 yards from their house does bug me. I see that every single day. My son's bus stop will have more idling SUVs than kids standing on the sidewalk. And if it is a little bit wet or a little bit cold there will be 3 kids on the sidewalk and 15 sitting in idling SUVs with the heat running. I mean come on... how are they going to tell their kids that they walked uphill both ways in the snow in July to get to school?

Grandpa

On a bright note, my neighbor, with whom I backpack and hunt, runs (using feet) 10 miles to town and back if he isn't working. His sons either ride their bikes or run 8 miles and back to move sprinkler pipe every day. Surprised some libtard hasn't turned him in for child abuse.

As a mean old parent myself, my kids had to walk the 1/4 mile out to the road come rain, cold or snow. And we live in the snow belt. The only time they got a ride was if the winter wind was blowing and the chill factor was below minus 10 F. Ha ha, statue of limitations says you can't get me for abuse.

The year my grandson lived here, he would run to school and back (4 miles each) during football and baseball seasons (his choice) but I would give him a ride the rest of the year. He had an early class that prevented him riding the bus and practices after school. Might have been a reason for all those state champion rings he earned as a linebacker and centerfielder.

ppine

Forester
Never be daunted by the poor decisions of other people.
Boldly go forward with the strength of your convictions.
Set an example and hope someone else can follow in your footsteps.
Concern yourself with the things you can control, and forget the rest.
PPine

ppine

Forester
When we were young, on a trip with the folks, my Dad would sometimes pull over by the side of the road and tell my brothers and me to get out. He would have us run until we used up our nervous energy.

I used to run in college with a guy on the cross-country team. I used to run to class. Several times I had people chase me, but they did not stand a chance.

I played basketball seriously from age 10 until 51. It is stylized running with a ball.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Come out to my ranch. You'll have to walk. You'll cover some ground but it's beautiful. If your feet get sore, I'll let you sit. If you complain too much, I'll leave you where you sit.

Bojib

I don't know, maybe it's where you live.

I just moved recently, from a fairly rural area to the suburbs.

Even when I walked in the rural area I was rarely alone. I usually past a couple people walking, jogging, or running.

Here in the burbs it's even more so, there are all the above plus bicyclists. It's kind of motivating actually.

ppine

Forester
Here in our rural area you can tell the people that are visiting or just moved here because they are out jogging. It is a largely urban and suburban idea. We like to walk everywhere or ride bicycles.

ED3

The people I find curious are the ones who will prowl the parking lot of their gym/ health club to find a spot close to the door so they don't have to walk so far to get inside where the treadmills are.