Where Have You Camped?

brandon1008

There are so many beautiful places in this country and so many parks and camping spots. I prefer more remote sites, and found Maine really beautiful. Acadia National Park is great but very touristy.

Moosehead lake in Main is another great place. It was nice and remote with a 30 mile dirt road to get to our campground.

Where have you camped?

HereToday

Above the San Gorgonio Pass in California, up Mt San Jacinto, you will find some wonderful campgrounds. Idyllwild and Pine Cove have some great campgrounds. I know there is a lake and campgrounds on the "Hemet" side of the mountain, but I have only camped on the "Banning" side.
The wind rustling through the pine trees there is extra lyrical, not sure why, but it is. Strawberry Creek is fun; you can find pyrite by the handful, and I always noticed that kids love picking it up, even if it isn't valuable; they can pretend it is. Lake Fulmore is ,at times, as silent as can be. It reminds me of a Japanese landscape then.
It's only a couple of hours from the LA area, and even less from Riverside or San Bernardino area.

Tomboy

Most of the places that we have camped have been pretty local to where we live. I would love to go and see some other parts of the country though. But, for us, camping is more of our quick getaway and not a huge planned out event, and more planning would be required if we went somewhere we were unfamiliar.

2coastcamper

I've gone kayaking once at Lake Sonoma ... it's a massive man-made lake (by the Army Corps of Engineers). Well, they have paddle-in camping there, and some of the sites are pretty remote. Once the sun goes down, I bet it's darn-near silent. I can't wait to camp there.