Would you let your daughter hunt?

hunter44mag

Absolutely!! My daughters didn't hunt, I have 2, and I never pressured them. My granddaughter, now 15, has been hunting with me for 3 years. I am honoured. She is a better hunting partner than most adults.

Erwin

Their is no reason in the world that would make me believe their is something wrong with a female hunter. I love going on hunts with my wife and my children will also when they are old enough and mature enough.

JDSport

Yes I would let my daughter hunt when she was old enough to safely do so. I would plan on teaching her myself and having her take hunters safety so that she knew what she was doing. I will be doing the same for my boys and I don't see hunting as a male only sport.

Chippin

I have female cousins who learned to hunt from a very early age. I don't think that hunting is a one-gender sport anymore, and there are many times where women can be very efficient hunters themselves. Of course I would let my daughter hunt, but of course I'd give her the decision to go or not go. I wouldn't want to encourage something if she doesn't enjoy it.

outdoorlover001

i have taken both of my daughters hunting with me- they both started out with bb guns and worked their way up as they matured, now they out shoot me on the range and i am career military/security/ corrections!! women are naturals with a firearm, my oldest (16) prefers to hunt deer with a handgun(357) and always fills her tags.

jacob321

If my daughter wanted to hunt then I would have to let her. She would have to be at a age were killing a animal will not emotionally scare her for life. But it would be completely her choice.

Last edited:

hunter44mag

My daughters did not have an interest. 3 of 5 of my grandkids do. The other 2 are still very young, under 4. My grandkids must go to the range with me for at least 2 years before hunting. They are required to put the safety on after every shot and take it off before the next. Until they have gun safety as a habit, they do not go hunting. They also must have a high level of markmanship. My granddaughter is my favorite hunting partner, even archery. On 1st successful hunt, I was more proud of her discipline and her shot than of her harvest of the animal.

Trabitha

Why WOULDN'T you let her hunt? Some of the best hunters I've SEEN are women. If she wants to hunt, let her go when she's old enough based on your state requirements.

FastTrack

Any man who would be willing to take their son hunting, should be willing to do the same. If a father can't see the huge potential in his daughter, and cannot see that she is every bit as capable as a male child, then I would feel sorry for that girl. As her father, you should be her biggest supporter, in all ways.

MosseyOakGirl

I absolutely would "let" her hunt. Both my husband and I are hunters. Deer, Bear, Turkey, Coyotes, Goose and the occasional Jack Rabbit. We also field hunt with Treeing Walkers as well as have Fox Hounds for Coyotes. Shotgun, Rifle or Bow. Our life is about hunting really. We both get in "trouble" from our youngest if we don't take her out. She is 3 and 1/2. She does not yet go out with us during deer season but she loves Goose and Turkey hunting and she helps clean the deer when we bring them home. She loves it! Our eldest daughter is not so interested in hunting any more however she is around it and should she decide later she wants to go we would be thrilled.

Grandpa

All three of my daughters were avid hunters when they were very young. But each one lost active interest at different ages. They still continued going along but seemed content to let the others do the active hunting. They all still take their turns at the targets though.

Chilly

As long as they are still willing to be out there, to be spending time with you guys and to be away from home, I think that's the most important thing. It's a good way to bond.

DonL1959

My daughter hunts with me, and would put her up against most men with a rifle, she started learning gun safety when she was 5 and took her hunters safety class at 14. She embarassed the hunting instructor, by asking him to open and check the chamber on a rifle when he went to hand it to her. And got a PERFECT score on the final test.
She knew that she had to take my safety test after that.

YogiBear

I would definitely take my daughters hunting if they were interested in going. I think they need to know how to safely handle a gun.

MosseyOakGirl

At my house we have two seasons, Hunting Season and getting ready for hunting Season and both of my youngest daughters have gone out hunting with us. They love it! We get grief if we don't take at least one of them with us. They are too young for deer stands yet but as soon as they're old enough they'll be right there with us! Hunting, all aspects of it, is a great family activity!

Last edited:

Grandpa

My daughters all learned shooting skills early. Oldest daughter started dating the new deputy sheriff that moved to town. They gave him an old .357 when he first started until his new beretta arrived. He was so excited when the beretta did arrive and wanted to go try it out. They came here where I have a good clay hillside backstop with distances marked on the fence posts. He shot it a few time, then asked her if she wanted to. She declined and said, no, you need the practice. He misunderstood her reluctance and called her a chicken that was afraid to shoot it. Wrong

He had cans set up for targets in the field. His story was, she pulled down on one can, two handed, and it sounded like one continuous long shot and that can didn't stop jumping until the mag was empty. He never called her a chicken again and they have now been married 21 years.

Gunny

Semper Fi
I have twin daughters and while they enjoy camping with me neither showed an interest in killing anything.

Didn't bother me. If they did I would certainly teach and take them. Nothing wrong with it.