Would you (or do you) eat "expired" food?

ChadTower

The best thing to note here that expired and spoiled are not the same thing. Expired food does not mean it is spoiled. It means it is past the manufacturer's recommended date for freshness. And spoiled food does not have to be expired. Poor handling or damaged packaging can spoil food way before it expires.

Frankly, I don't use a lot of food that comes with expiration dates, so it doesn't happen much in my house.

brumby

Depends on what exactly it is but usually yes.

I've eaten tonnes of expired food in the past and am yet to get sick of it. I think a lot of the time the date is a bit on over cautious side.

Pathfinder1

brumby;
Depends on what exactly it is but usually yes.

I've eaten tonnes of expired food in the past and am yet to get sick of it. I think a lot of the time the date is a bit on over cautious side.

Hi...

That's probably true.

Unfortunately, just this week I had the 'unique' experience of trying some bottled blue cheese salad dressing that was eleven months past its 'use by' date. (WAY too old!).

Barf...!!

Greatoutdoors

How could you tell the difference? Blue cheese salad dressing tastes horrible to start with! I have always thought that it tasted the way paint smells. Yuck!