Yearly Rant! Leafblowers

CaverGroupie

Skip this one if you want, I just need to get it out so that I don't go across the street and scream at my neighbor. I hate hate hate leaf blowers. The noise they make carries further than even a big lawn mower or a chainsaw. And I don't notice that it takes him less time than raking would.

Snuggles

Amen! Amen! My thing is if you're going to use the darned thing, at least wait until they all fall and do it once. We have neighbors that blow every day. You should hear it around here sometimes.

ponderosa

AGREED!!! I used to live across the street from a guy who would blow the sidewalk and street in front of his house Every Single Day, unless there was snow on the ground, year round. He was super OCD about having a dirt free driveway, sidewalk, and street apparently.
Plus, holy lazy. Get a rake. The blowers aren't exactly super light and I don't really think there are too many people who can wield one of those things who couldn't just use a rake.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
i live on a corner lot. the north wind this time of year blows all my leaves into the neighbors yard. It's like an eco-friendly leaf blower.

Campfire Girl

i live on a corner lot. the north wind this time of year blows all my leaves into the neighbors yard. It's like an eco-friendly leaf blower.
I lived in a house at one time that had three big trees in the front yard and they would all loose their leaves at the same time. The yard was full of leaves and I knew I needed to get the rack out but I had just gotten off work and was exhausted. As I was walking into the house I said, "Lord, it sure would be nice if a wind would come along and blow those leaves away." The next day when I was leaving for work I noticed that all leaves had been blown into the yard of the neighbor next door.

Marlowe

I really hate when they use them to clean the big parking lots. It blows the dust up and around and all over the place. Where can it land but right back on the pavement? If you're not going to use a dustpan, then you're just moving it around. And that dang racket is really annoying.

BigSur

Well, I hate to rain on your parade here but we have to use one because we are on a corner lot with a bunch of trees around us. Last year we had a tree fall on our fence from a neighbors yard. He did nothing about it for 6 months after telling us he was gonna get it removed. Very considerate! We ended up having it removed when we cut down a few big pine trees. Thanks for nothing good neighbor!

Then, near our driveway, we have our other neighbor who has giant nut trees that literally crap all over our driveway! It's so bad, that it literally stains the concrete when they fall. Not only are there tons of tiny acorns, but they have some type of nut tree that literally drops nuts bigger than golf balls. I have to look up what they are because they are huge! I have to get the leaf blower and blow it back onto their side because who else is going to do it?

Plus, next to those nut trees, are all the other trees that drop leaves all over our driveway and I don't like leaving them there because certain things can hide in there like bugs and snakes etc.

Well, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it!
I know you must hate those leaf blowers, but I would be out there all day and not get anything done if I were to manually try and remove all the debris.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Wish I could give some legal advice...yet in many places...what hangs over your property line...you can claim. Get thee to an attorney, pronto, Tonto.

Then, if that IS the case, a little 'tree trimming' would be in order...and save you from a lot of further grief. You might not be in good graces with your neighbor...but at this point...who cares...!!

Grandpa

Well, I hate to rain on your parade here but we have to use one because we are on a corner lot with a bunch of trees around us. Last year we had a tree fall on our fence from a neighbors yard. He did nothing about it for 6 months after telling us he was gonna get it removed. Very considerate! We ended up having it removed when we cut down a few big pine trees. Thanks for nothing good neighbor!

Then, near our driveway, we have our other neighbor who has giant nut trees that literally crap all over our driveway! It's so bad, that it literally stains the concrete when they fall. Not only are there tons of tiny acorns, but they have some type of nut tree that literally drops nuts bigger than golf balls. I have to look up what they are because they are huge! I have to get the leaf blower and blow it back onto their side because who else is going to do it?

Plus, next to those nut trees, are all the other trees that drop leaves all over our driveway and I don't like leaving them there because certain things can hide in there like bugs and snakes etc.

Well, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it!
I know you must hate those leaf blowers, but I would be out there all day and not get anything done if I were to manually try and remove all the debris.
Tree falls here and ya got 16 neighbors with chain saws and trucks wanting the wood. And they bring goodies to share if they can have it.

Big nuts sounds like chestnuts. Big green covering with spikes? Crack that open and get the brown chestnut inside. Great roasted.

Sounds like your neighbors can use a little six am wake up call with that blower.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

It's all about respect, in my opinion. But some neighbors just don't respond to respect, do they?

CaverGroupie

BigSur, I agree with Pathfinder. If any branches are hanging over on your side, I'm pretty sure you can treat your neighbor to the sound of a chainsaw!

TakeAHike

We rake, but a blower would be nice sometimes. The funny thing is, we don't even have any leafy trees in our own yard. All we have are a couple of pine trees. The wind blows the neighbors leaves into our yard. We end up raking up a good 20 yard waste bags of leaves every year!

BigSur

Tree falls here and ya got 16 neighbors with chain saws and trucks wanting the wood. And they bring goodies to share if they can have it.

Big nuts sounds like chestnuts. Big green covering with spikes? Crack that open and get the brown chestnut inside. Great roasted.

Sounds like your neighbors can use a little six am wake up call with that blower.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

It's all about respect, in my opinion. But some neighbors just don't respond to respect, do they?

Well, the nuts are green but they don't have spikes on them. They are really big though. We thought they were chestnuts but not sure. The squirrels sure do love them though!

The trees that hang over our driveway are on our neighbor's property so I don't think we can do anything. Plus, they are so big that you would need a crane to get them, a few of them are that tall. Besides, the tension that's already there, uhh! Definitely don't want to make it any worse.

RingTwist

Leaf blowers don't bother me any more than any other lawn equipment would, and I can understand the appeal of using a blower instead of raking. We don't have any deciduous trees, so we don't own a leaf blower.

Hikenhunter

Well, the nuts are green but they don't have spikes on them. They are really big though. We thought they were chestnuts but not sure. The squirrels sure do love them though!

Might be walnuts. They are good eating too if you have the patience to dig them out of the green outer shell, then you need to crack the hard inner shell to get to the nut meat.Squirrels chisel through them in seconds.

bsmit212

I use a blower to clear my drive way after I mow and that is it. And I have a small drive way so it only take about 5 mins of blowing.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Leaf blowers don't bother me that much. I hear them for about a month out of the year and they're done. Lawn mowers are going all summer long. I love the neighbors who think 8 am is fine time to mow the lawn. Invariably just as I go out to my deck to have a cup of tea and enjoy the sounds of nature. And it seems there is always someone in my neighborhood building something. The sound of a circular saw seems to travel much farther than even leaf blowers.