Coleman evenston 4 person screened tent

tramp

Anyone have this tent ? if so your thoughts on it ? sport chalet has them for $79.99 right now.

frank6160

I can't attest to that specific tent but have been using Coleman tents for years with good luck. Not the best but fit most camping needs.

MacGyver

Coleman tents, like so many other products, "ain't what they used to be". They're certainly not bottom of the barrel, but will probably require a bit more caution when using them than with more expensive tents. One thing I always recommend for any tent is the use of a tarp over it. Not just for rain, it helps keep the sun off of it. UV light will degrade nylon over time.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I would beware of a Coleman tent. Basically you get what you pay for. I went camping with a friend last summer who was quite proud of his brand new Coleman tent. We had a deluge during the the weekend and the next day he was cursing the tent and drying out his sleeping bag and clothing.

Remember that your tent is your home while camping. It's one of the last things you should skimp on.

Bojib

I still have a Coleman tent. I like the features of it and the ease of set up. It's my fair weather tent though. I wouldn't trust it in the wind, the poles are a bit too thin. I also wouldn't count on it keeping me dry in a heavy rain, the rain fly is a bit on the skimpy side with it.

I do like that it is lighter weight than my usual tent, and has a ground vent in the rear, a small zipper to run electrical chord through (gotta have it for my cpap), and again the ease of set up makes it less aggravating. I did purchase some seam sealer and place it along all the seems to help keep water out. I haven't been in more than a gentle rain in it yet, but it didn't leak in those.

I'd say if you think it's a good deal, and you don't think you'll be camping in bad storms, then go for it. I know the post is a little late and you've probably already made the decision. Generally a tent this size is going to be good for car camping, not backpacking, so if a bad storm was to hit I'd probably be finding shelter elsewhere anyway (like in the car).