Do you still read printed books?

woodsman

I have to admit I'm a slave to my Kindle. However since I broke three last year, I've been lugging around printed copies whenever I travel. I almost forgot how nice it is to actually feel the paper between your fingers.

Cappy

I am a voracious reader and have struggled in the past keeping up with a big bag of books on a boat. I have a nook and have had it for years. The original black and white reader. I got a leather case for it that gives the feel of a book and it is the largest portion of my reading now. I still read a couple magizenes but it it a big relief not to have to lug books around and try to keep up with them.

ChadTower

I wouldn't use an electronic reader. Why would I want to be subject to a battery so I could read a book? Books work pretty well on their own.

Judy Ann

I read most books on my Nook and journals on my computer. It is nice to be able to read the Nook while swinging in my hammock or at night in the tent. I still prefer hard copies of cookbooks and hiking and camping books so I can write in them.

bsmit212

don't have an e-reader or tablet yet. My wife uses one. I am fine with real books. Really don't read enough book to make getting an e-reader worth it

Grandpa

Sure, get "the survival guide" or "How to Survive when the S*** hits the Fan" on an electric gadget. For recreational reading, ebooks are okay but I'll still take hard copy any day.

Cappy

The battery built into my nook last the whole 28 day hitch at work and I read lots. Last hitch I read 8 books that averaged around 600 pages each. Didn't charge it till I got home. So spare batteries or charging arent an issue. When camping I still cary my map tube, and first aide guide. But the nook alows me to bring along 12o books I currently have in it. Try packig that

ChadTower

I've never felt the need to sit down and read 120 books at once.

I work in deep technology and understand why people like them. I don't feel the need to have everything with me at all times.

I guess I'm not on the same page regarding eReaders. :eyebrows:

Cappy

I easy see what ya saying Chad and feel ya. My deal is I pack a sea bag with limited space and ship ot on a very small boat with 3 other guys for a month at a time. I dont need all 120 books either, but it sure is nice to have access to them if I want them with out having to lug them around. Pluss I aint gotta wory about who borrowed what.

ChadTower

Yeah, short of getting out there to trade with the Mermaids, you're not going to get new books out at sea. And I'm betting if you could trade with the Mermaids you would not be trading books.

CozInCowtown

Santa Claus brought me a Kindle Fire HD and I have found a great use for it here at work instead of a heavy notebook.
At home it is still paper and probably all ways will be paper.
Working on Islands in the Stream by Hemmingway at the moment.
DC

ponderosa

I couldn't imagine giving up real books...until hubby gave me a nook a few years ago. The technology looks like ink on paper, and with the cover, it feels like a real book in my hand. I can get comfy in bed and hold it with just one hand. I'm always working on 3 or 4 different books at once, and it's much easier to carry the nook than lug around a book bag. I can check out books from the library without leaving home. I have three huge bookshelves at home which are completely full...but there is always room for more on the nook. Millions of free titles...I love it. My only complaint is that the price of current e-books has definitely gone up since I first started buying them. I think it's kind of ridiculous to pay over $10 for a book download, especially since you can't pass and trade them among your friends like you can with a real book. With Nook, some titles are sharable, but only one time per book.

ppine

Forester
Of course. In fact I find the tone of this thread somewhat offensive. But I still talk on landlines and write letters. I dare any of you people under say 40 to send a hand written letter to someone you really like. You will be surprised at the response.

Last edited:

ChadTower

I'm under 40 and used to have a whole bunch of pen pals. That did all end with the advent of email, though, in the early 90s.

Johnny

These days even when I can read on my computer something that is longer than one page I usually print and read on a paper. I'm tired of reading computer screens.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

With every passing year...my attention span shortens. Presently my attention span is about that of a shingle...!!

I have a small amount of books, all of which I've read...some re-read.

However, about all I read anymore are a (very) few monthly magazines and a few items on the 'net, including forums.

EmberMike

I only ever read printed books. I spend my work day staring a screen, I don't want to do more of that for recreational activities, other than tv.

I've never tried a kindle, and the brief time I tried reading a book on an iPad it drove my eyes crazy.

IndianaHiker

Only time I get books in print is pretty much if the book is not available in electronic format. After helping a friend moved that owned 100s of books and was headed down that path myself I made the conversion. Cant say that I miss the hard copies at all. Hell never understood why I kept the books in the first place I never re-read a book unless it is a reference book. I have also pretty much purged the hard copies that I used to own.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I've been an early adopter of the digital book (a GEB 1150 was my first ereader) and it is still my preferred medium (Kindle). For me, as always, it's the authors words that are important, not the medium. And how can you not re-read a book. A book, once read, becomes like a friend. Some are great, some are not so great but they are all friends and I don't want them go away after I've seen just a page or two of their life.