Is it just me or are people confusing survival with camping?

woodsman

It's seems with the numerous survival reality shows being aired today, people are starting to think that "survival" is just another way of saying lightweight camping. I think the disclaimers should be more pronounced, otherwise I'm thinking more and more people are going to end up hurt or worse.

Barney

I know that for some people survival means disconnection, even temporary, from the source of all meaning, the urban environment. I should have been born in a different era... :)

Newanderthal

Camping is camping. Survival is when everything goes terribly wrong and your life is actually in danger. The difference is vast.

Scotty

There is a lot of misinformation on those shows as well as outright lying on some. I would hate for people to get the idea that it was as easy as most of the shows make it look. Searching for food from a barren landscape is a full time job at the best of times and sometimes impossible at others. When the manure hits the propeller, it's going to be hard to keep above ground without having a lot of people running around who don't know what is going on and really don't care as long as they can have someone else do the work for them.

Grandpa

There is a lot of misinformation on those shows as well as outright lying on some. I would hate for people to get the idea that it was as easy as most of the shows make it look. Searching for food from a barren landscape is a full time job at the best of times and sometimes impossible at others. When the manure hits the propeller, it's going to be hard to keep above ground without having a lot of people running around who don't know what is going on and really don't care as long as they can have someone else do the work for them.
Just ask Dustin Self how hard it is......if you ever meet him.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Reed

Those reality shows are just in it for the money, they don't care much for the facts. The adverse effects of that are becoming painfully obvious though. I actually feel kind of sorry those who don't know the difference. Camping is fun. Survival is not.

Newanderthal

I watch stuff like survivor man and man vs wild for entertainment. occasionally they do something that gives me a good idea and inspires me to get out to the woods and practice a few things, but I'm not going to throw myself into the mountains with a knife, a water bottle and a camera and try to survive. I can thing of far more interesting ways to die.

ppine

Forester
"Lightweight camping" as in a pocket knife and a dog and little else?

Anyone see the new show about Ed Stafford the Englishman on an island for 60 days by himself? Three part episode. He starts slowly but figures out a lot of things after 30-45 days and is well worth watching.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Maybe some people can head cross country with a knife and a hand full of chia seeds, but I'll tote my 30 lb pack. Even my dog carries more than that. I agree with many of you. Once a trip goes from fun to survival, it isn't much fun. When Ma Nature throws the curve, you do what you gotta do but the only fun is in the retelling.....if you survive.

pauldude000

Maybe some people can head cross country with a knife and a hand full of chia seeds, but I'll tote my 30 lb pack. Even my dog carries more than that. I agree with many of you. Once a trip goes from fun to survival, it isn't much fun. When Ma Nature throws the curve, you do what you gotta do but the only fun is in the retelling.....if you survive.
I understand that grandpa. If I have my druthers I will have a pack with gear myself. I know wilderness survival, but I far prefer wilderness living. Wilderness survival blows chunks, while wilderness living is quite enjoyable.

CozInCowtown

For many folks camping is as close as they will ever get to survival. I hope and pray they never are put in a survival situation because they will not survive.
Camping could be good training for survival and any experienced camper, even a car camper, will have a much better chance of surviving than typical city folks IMO.
How many folks do we know in our daily lives who can't start a fireplace let alone a camp fire without starter logs or a gallon of gasoline???
JMO,
DC