Snow is falling...

Northern Dancer

I remember as a child
folding white paper and cutting out pieces to make a snowflake.
I watched snowflakes crashing onto my coat and seeing a multitude of intricate designs and patterns;
I got the strap because somehow the principal got in the way of one of my snowballs intended for someone else.
I played in the snow until my gloves were frozen, my feet were cold and my cheeks and nose were red.
I crossed country skied, snowshoed the mounds, and camped in the frigid bog.
I fell through the ice up to my thighs and had to be rescued by friends.

I tobogganed down Dickson Hill a thousand times.
I made a snowman, snowballs and snowforts.
I've observed the lunar halo optical illusion.

It's snowing today...and I'm remembering.

jason

fear no beer
Nice memory. Want to send some snow this way? It might hit a low of 35 this week. I remember waking up as a kid and looking to see if it snowed and measuring to see if we would have school or not. Kinda miss it.

ppine

Forester
We got 13 inches of wet Sierra cement yesterday in a warm storm. Digging out today.
The childhood memories are still there, but what I miss is skiing. Cross country and telemark skiing . Sometimes we went overnight. My dog pulled a sled with half my gear. We skied nearly every hill in Colorado with leather boots and 3 pin bindings. Aspen Highlands had 3,600 vertical drop. We could see the lodge between the tips of our skis at the top.

Northern Dancer

Today it is bright and sunny and the temperatures are spring-like in this neck of the woods. Our winter campout last weekend was the warmest winter camp that I've ever experienced. It's been reported that this winter is the grayest it's ever been. There is a hint of spring in the air as the camper, fishing, and other outdoor interests have their shows. Already there are sales here and there to entice people like me to buy equipment I don't need. But it's okay - it's all about living the life.

Roybrew

Our snow has melted away. It was pretty while it lasted. The temps here have been creeping up to 60 degrees every day this week. It feels like spring time, but I will not be fooled!Screenshot_20240207-164053.png
If it's going to be cold, let it snow!
Roy

ppine

Forester
The Big One starts tomorrow. We are going to get between 8-20 inches. Seven feet at Donner Pass. Ten feet at Mammoth. Holy Cow.

ppine

Forester
More snow on the way, this week march 28. Two feet in the Sierra. Around 6-12 inches at Lake Tahoe. Less than 6 inches in the Valley.

Roybrew

We were hoping to see some snow before we get blasted with hot weather. It's been in the 50's for the past few days, 40's at night. It was in the 70's last weekend. I like the snow. I don't like the cold dreary days. Puts me in a funk.

ppine

Forester
Snowing this week in the mountains. We are heated out in the trailer next week for the local Cowboy Poetry and Music Fest in Sierra Valley, CA.