Tenting Tips for Guys over 70

Northern Dancer

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SOPHISTICATED VANS OR TRAILERS

First of all, this is an add to the post.
"Gots some snazzy idea or one of them there practical foolproof suggestions?" Then add them to the list - but makes them good. Ya gots to be serious on this here site.

I noted there are seemingly a lot of, shall we say, mature guys [and probably gals] out there sitting in chairs sharing some fabulous camp days gone by. I know because when I talk to them I sometimes ask why they don't camp anymore. It's not because they're not interested, and it's not because they've lost the desire, it's just, well needs have changed. There are things that people don't want to struggle with.

Here are some of the "struggles" mentioned and ideas to help bring back the opportunity to be outdoors again.

-----> Oh, before I go any further, I'm very much aware that we have excellent campers and canoeists right here on Outdoor Basecamp. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

QUICKS TIPS
Take your time, plan well, check out campgrounds that have central washhouses with running water, etc., Most state parks have posted information about their campgrounds and pictures that help you to find level campsites. Parks will post the amenities they offer and other helpful information.

You might want to try a trial run - camp out...in your backyard and see how it goes for you.

When you are out and about make sure you leave contact information behind so people can get in touch with you if need be.

THE CRUNCHER
Getting a buddy to go with you can be a challenge but it makes things a lot easier if that can be done. You might have to do some grooming. In this neck of the woods, we have two active canoe clubs for those over 70 years old and they do canoe and camp. Ancient Mariners Canoe Club is excellent and I've been a member. Check out your community resources - there is a lot more happening than you might believe.

SHELTER
"I just can't manage setting up a tent and crawling in and out of the same."

There are new tents that are lighter weight and can be set up by one person. Some come with peaks over the door that allow one to easily open the tent door without getting soaked, should it be raining. One man tied orange paracord to the zipper so that when he came to open it he didn't have to bend over to unzip it. The one tent I use is 6.5 feet high and only has two guylines.

When selecting a tent always check out the size and height - read very carefully what is being said, compare products and especially cost. Anyone who knows me knows "always buy on sale if possible."

SOMETHING TO COVER THE TENT FLOOR

"The ground is always cold."
It's always good to have a "foot" - ground sheet under the tent. Inside the tent, I put down a throw or a rug so have something warm to stand on when I get up in the morning. It also protects the tent floor. I have a boot tray at the end of my bed. When I come in I sit on my bed, remove my boots/shoes, and put on tent slippers to keep the place clean.

SLEEP SYSTEM

"Crawling around on the ground was great but I can't be bothered to do that anymore."
A good sleep system will provide an excellent opportunity to get more than a good night's sleep. What do you need? A cot that meets your weight and height, and a sleeping bag that is comfortable for you. I also bring a blanket for a daytime nap. I find a pillow from home comforting and cozy and something to hold on to when I hear the night sounds. :Smile2:

TENT CHAIR AND TABLE

"What about me?" "I fall over when I need to change."
I understand that. That's why I have a wooden folding chair. It gives me good back support and allows me to sit down and put on clothes and manage my shoes. I use the back of the chair to hang jackets on.

TOILETING

" I can't get to the "can" in the middle of the night and I don't want to wake people up"
This gets a little tricky, but it's life, right? I have a night bottle (I don't leave home without it) and I will use it without apology. I have set up an outhouse equipped with a toilet that I have used when I didn't want to hike down to the washhouse. Selecting a toilet to meet your needs is an exercise in itself. Take your time and check out all the possibilities. Check out the pros and cons. I have three toilets and have been known to attach seats to backcountry canoe site outhouses for my personal comfort.

LIGHTING

"I find making it around a dark shadowy campsite a bit scary."
Modern lighting systems are exceptionally cheap and practical. I have a globe light that I've been using on my flagpole (while at base camp) that comes on automatically at (9:00 PM) and stays on for four hours and shuts itself off. I have motion lights, always a headlight, and a lantern in my tent that comes on automatically in the evening.

So...there's a start. And another thing, these suggestions just aren't for the Sagamores of the group, they can be for anyone.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Add furniture. Make everything lighter. No big coolers, 2 small coolers. Keep food simple. small kitchen box.
I sleep in the back of my pick up a lot.
I love going out there. I take a trailer for long trips and cold weather.
I often just go with my dog.

Northern Dancer

I add furniture as suggested by Pine.

I make tent furniture in the winter as I dream of the summer. It's fun to make stuff and use it when I'm at a camp base. Pictured is a chest of draws. I used recycle blue boxes, and there are hooks on the side as well as lights. The black at the top are bears and the top is designed to stop things rolling off. It took me about three hours to put it together.

ppine

Forester
Wow ND your tent looks like a good motel. Too much work for me. At 73 I keep going simpler and lighter.

Northern Dancer

Wow ND your tent looks like a good motel. Too much work for me. At 73 I keep going simpler and lighter.
-----> Looks good don't it? I only use this setup when I'm away for ten days or more. Frequently I use a basecamp and go into the interior from there for a few days. Then I return to my established camp where I enjoy more luxury. When I'm on the water I make every effort to be as light as I can.

ppine

Forester
Washrooms and indoor plumbing are rare. Mostly we boondock or find USFS campgrounds that are quiet. They have pit toilets, picnic table and a fire ring. That's it.