Favorite Quotes??

Grandpa

The evil that men do live after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones

William Shakespeare in Julius Caesar

IndianaHiker

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”

John Muir

Grandpa

Was he the old Indian that, referring to daylight saving time, said; "only a white man would think to cut a foot off the bottom of the blanket, sew it to the top and think he had a bigger blanket"?

Pathfinder1

Grandpa;

Was he the old Indian that, referring to daylight saving time, said; "only a white man would think to cut a foot off the bottom of the blanket, sew it to the top and think he had a bigger blanket"?

Hi...

Funny.

But no, that wasn't it. It does remind me of some politicians, though...!!

Judy Ann

The Scout motto of "Be Prepared" is often misinterpreted to "Be Equipped" rather than be in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your duty.

Michael Ray in his dissertation for his PhD in The Crossroads of America Council's University Scouting Doctoral Program

Backpacking: Smart, Fun and Light

Last edited:

eyebp

Senator
Politicians hide themselves away. They only started the war. Why should they go out to fight? They leave that all to the poor. ~Ozzy

:hippie:

Grandpa

Hi...

Chief Seattle had a very profound statement (among many others) that I cannot recall...does anyone else have anything on that?
“Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints.” Chief Seattle

“Earth does not belong to us; we belong to earth.” Chief Seattle

“There is no quiet place in the white man's cities. No place to hear the unfurling of leaves in spring, or the rustle of an insect's wings. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand. The clatter only seems to insult the ears.” Chief Seattle

ppine

Forester
Mahatma Ghandi was asked- "What do you think of Western Civilization?"

His response- "I think it is a wonderful idea."

Pathfinder1

Grandpa;

Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints.” Chief Seattle

“Earth does not belong to us; we belong to earth.” Chief Seattle

“There is no quiet place in the white man's cities. No place to hear the unfurling of leaves in spring, or the rustle of an insect's wings. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand. The clatter only seems to insult the ears.” Chief Seattle

Hi..

You got it, Grandpa...thanks.

oldsarge

"If you force me to do violence, I shall be so savage and so cruel, and hurt you so badly that the thought of revenge shall never cross your mind" --Machiavelli

"The difference between being a coward and a hero is not whether you're scared.....it's what you do while you're scared."

Last edited:

BGreen

I have many favorite quotes, but the one that immediately comes to mind is by someone whose name I have forgotten. I'll have to look it up.

"I shall pass through this world but once.
Any good, therefore, that I can show to any human being,
let me do it now.
Let me not defer nor neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again."

Grandpa

Not funny but evidently good advice

"Lock your doors and load your guns" Jim Penman, San Bernardino city attorney after city announcing the layoff of another 80 policemen due to no money in the budget.

wvbreamfisherman

From one of my favorite authors, John Voelker:

The Credo
“I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of the television commercials, cocktail parties and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup tastes better out there; because maybe someday I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. John Voelker”

wvbreamfisherman

Mahatma Ghandi when asked what he thought of Western Civilization:

"I think its a wonderful idea."
Ghandi would never have succeeded under anybody but the British. The Russians, Germans or Japanese would not have hesitated to slaughter every last man, woman or child that it took to eliminate his movement, starting with him.

It was "Western Civilization" that allowed his movement to succeed.

ChadTower

Most my favorite quotes are Dr Seuss:

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”

And my personal extra favorite from The Lorax, speaking to a child:

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

JeepThrills

This is my favorite one. "A stout-hearted mouse can lift an elephant." I got a fortune cookie that said that one time and it has always kind of stuck with me.