Honesty on the Internet?

Judy Ann

I like that one quote: "Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does."
Ppine, listen to Hikerjoe. He adds a lot of humor here at OBC. We were pretty serious as a group before he added his special brand of "appreciation of life" with the aid of a few of his friends. If you were to take a few seconds to really study a few of his photos you might discover another individual who loves and appreciates nature perhaps more than you do. I only say that because you haven't provided us with pics from your aspect of life. You are welcome to view my attempts to capture My Journeys from my humble perspective here in my album, however Grandpa is perhaps the most talented IMHO!

If you feel like the Lone Ranger at times, rest assured that you aren't alone in your passion for life, adventure, and Mother Earth. Most of the people here love the outdoors and their various sports. We aren't a social network, maybe we don't even care if we connect with others, however each and everyone here has a passion and love or interest for something beyond their home.

If we can help you and your wife with anything specific, please just ask. I don't know a lot of the time what I'm asking, but many have taken the time to help me express specific questions and given me the answers. My enjoyment of the mountains and outdoor activities has grown exponentially.

ponderosa

Honesty on the internet varies from person to person as much as honesty in any other setting, perhaps more so because there is little accountability online. I think there is a huge difference between lying to try to scam people, and a little levity/sarcasm/tall tales/obvious exaggeration/teasing all in the name of fun. I'm very serious about my love of the outdoors as well. I consider outdoor time to be crucial to my well-being, and fundamental to my family relationships and many of my most important friendships. That doesn't make it off limits for humor.

jason

fear no beer
Some great thoughts in this thread. I've been online for a while, and notice those that lie tend to get caught. It might not be right away, but they will get caught. Not saying you cannot tell some jokes and have some fun. For example my job description on facebook, or a recent post "Got pulled over by a cop today and he asked: "How high are you?" and I responded with "No officer, it is Hi, how are you".

ppine

Forester
Judy Ann,

I appreciate your heart fellt remarks. You are right that I don't share photos. I still use an old film camera mostly. I feel no compulsion to show my photos either. It seems somewhat personal and self-promoting at the same time. I do get something out of sharing my thoughts anonamously or I wouldn't be on the forum.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Regarding honesty. Have you studied the window theory? Draw a rectangle on a piece of paper and then draw 2 intersecting lines so that you are looking at a window with 4 panes. Number each one with one number 1-4.

The readers digest version states that in:
Pane #1: This area represents your honesty with yourself 100%
Pane #2: Represents that part of you that you chose to share with others
Pane #3: Represents that part of you that others see that you don't know about yourself
Pane #4: This is the area that no one including yourself knows
I keep looking at this but nothing comes into focus. I like the pretty colors though.

Judy Ann

I keep looking at this but nothing comes into focus. I like the pretty colors though.
LOL! I knew that someone would ask about the windex! :)

The final part of this diagram is to draw a line through the middle of panes 2 and 3. All of pane #1 should be behind this line. This area comprises everything known about you. The remainder of the window is an unknown based upon personal experiences and how much you chose to honestly open yourself up to others. Partial truths may truly be all we can tell because we need others input to help us see the whole picture. There will always be unknowns because life changes us moment by moment.

Honestly, I cannot recall if the Window Theory is the name of this team building exercise I went to in a Leadership Conference, however the premise stuck with me as it can be applied to any aspect of our lives.

Honesty may be why we are asked to post pictures in outdoor forums. I just enjoy seeing different parts of the country. I appreciated ppine's answer. There are many very private people, however like a good children's book or textbook sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words. Hikerjoe's picture of Mt. Harvard was my idea of an excellent TR. It needed no further explanation. I would like to learn brevity.

Can you see out the window any better now Dino?! ;-)

jason

fear no beer
Hi...

I never lie. I don't belong to the CIA. I'm actually in NSA. I can't tell you anymore, because I know where I live.
You wanna talk about work? Well my job is so unbelievable! I will try to sum it up by first telling you about the people I work with:

First, there is this Super Model wanna-be chick... Yeah, ok, she's pretty hot, but damn she is completely useless! The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is completely self-centered and has never once considered the wants or needs of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale from 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has to be the stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he's baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 60s, and to make things worse, he brings his dog to work. Every day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke... Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops at McDonald's and Burger King, every single day.

Anyways, I drive these people around in my van and we solve mysteries and stuff.

Judy Ann

firedancer

Recently I have turned to Facebook to try and stay in touch with my niece and nephew. They are about 14 and 19. I have been absolutely amazed that young people apparently now make up most of what is on their sites. They describe themselves as being married when they are not, working for the CIA or underwater bikins inspectors.
Between this and your response to TDale, something tells me you don't "get" sarcasm. I doubt the teenagers are trying to convince anyone they are actually married or CIA. I wouldn't say they are lying, more like just joking.

As for liars on forums, it doesn't take long to figure them out and like others have said, you start to recognize names you can trust vs the trolls. But I would never have blind faith in a random forum post if my life depended on it - always double check your info before setting out on an excursion.

JeepThrills

This is an interesting thread. In response to the original poster, I think younger people tend to put bogus information in their profiles as kind of a joke.

I think most people tell the truth to an extent, but may change their version of the truth to make themselves look better. I have one friend that professes to be happy so much of the time that you can tell she is not.

ppine

Forester
dancer,

When the subject is honesty, I don't have a lot of patience for goofing around.

Young people seem to take advantage of anonymity the most. I suspect that some people have very serious work days and need to act up a little to feel normal.