Is the ammo ever coming back?

Greatoutdoors

Is the ammo ever going to come back or did DHS buy all of it? We have been searching every online site that we know of and most of them don't even have 9mm or.22's listed anymore!

Hikenhunter

What is the DHS doing with all the 22's any way? If you all aren't worried about the crap that is going on you should be. Stash away a little bit of extra ammo for yourself if you can. Don't go hog wild and broke doing it but a little extra will be nice if the shtf in the months or years ahead.

Barney

Hard core preppers recommend at least a 1000 rounds per rifle. For some people that is too much but at least have 100. I think it is good to stock up on ammo.

Grandpa

As long as the panic prevails, there will be a shortage. On another forum, someone mentioned they had 100,000 rounds for their pistol. In a shooting war, he will either be dead or the war will be over before he could use 1000 of those bullets. It is just called panic hoarding. Another poster went into a cabellas just as a pallet of ammo arrived. He said there were 4 guys, all wearing the same pawn shop shirts trying to buy all they could. Profiteering is also a cause. It is said the DHS purchases are only affecting about 8 % of the production. Panic hoarding and profiteering are the reasons for the shortage.

CozInCowtown

Ammo is starting to show up again the last few weeks.
ARs and AKs prices are dropping also, I just bought a DPMS for the shop for $650 and selling for $900.
Just placed an a order for .223 from Greens, first time in awhile that has been available.
DC

ppine

Forester
We don't have a shortage in Nevada. The NRA gets the majority of its funding from gun and ammo manufacturers, not membership. They have been successful in scaring Americans into panic buying which makes everyone happy. Americans are dumber than 100 sheep.

Grandpa

We don't have a shortage in Nevada. The NRA gets the majority of its funding from gun and ammo manufacturers, not membership. They have been successful in scaring Americans into panic buying which makes everyone happy. Americans are dumber than 100 sheep.
Go to town today, Ppine, and try to buy a box of .22 shells. (not birdshot) Nevadians are no smarter than the rest of us dumb sheep.

CozInCowtown

So, it is actually the NRAs fault???

Newanderthal

DHS ordered 1.9 billion rounds for 'federal use'. Federal agencies use about 15 million rounds per year, so DHS purchased enough for the next 107 years. There's no way that won't cause a major shortage.

Greatoutdoors

I had to go to Dick's today and I asked the guy in the gun section about .22's and 9mm and he laughed at me. :( (Yes, I know I shouldn't be supporting Dick's but I was already in the store.) He said they hadn't had any of those calibers...not a single box in eight weeks.

Lorax

You would, of course, have to provide proof that the NRA gets a proportional amount in the form of percentage of support from these manufacturers based on the amount of ammo sold to make this claim. Where did you get this information from and can it be verified?

ppine

Forester
The NRA scares people with its rhetoric. You will never hear any spokesman for the NRA suggest that people stop hoarding ammo. That is what they want. It is the NRA's fault as much as anyone's.

All of you people that hoard guns and ammo: you are running scared. Get a grip on the reality of when you would use even 1000 rounds per gun. If you fight with the Government you are guaranteed to lose. If you fear a fight with your neighbors, you are living in a fantasy world. It is a form of paranoia. You don't have to agree with me. But this country is being driven by levels of fear I have never seen before.

Grandpa

Stopped at a gun store yesterday. With all the panic, thought I ought to reload my empty brass and needed some primers. I asked the guy for a box of large rifle and he handed me a BIG box of a 1000. Uhhhh, can't I just buy a 100? He sure gave me a funny look but I got my box of 100.

This store had some of everything, including .22 and 5.56. Prices were reasonable but the selection was not very good.

CozInCowtown

So, unless the NRA says stop hording it becomes their fault??
President Obama didn't come out and say that either so can he share the blame??
Just saying.
The NRA and Obama has very little to do with the free market. Political uncertainty regarding the current gun legislation now being proposed is the largest blame for the current shortage, not the NRA. People are buying ammo as fast as the manufacturers can produce it fearing no availability in the future and thus a shortage.
Hold on to your dollars for the moment, soon it will be surplus and the prices will drop.

JMO,
DC

Diver97

The NRA scares people with its rhetoric. You will never hear any spokesman for the NRA suggest that people stop hoarding ammo. That is what they want. It is the NRA's fault as much as anyone's.

I don't see how it is the NRA's fault that some people are hoarding ammo. I am sure there people out there that have more than they could use in a lifetime. There are also others who are buying up everything they can just to resale to people at several times what it should be selling for. I saw a ad in the paper this week for 22LR only $150.00 for a brick of 500, no limit. If it was $30.00 a brick I would consider it overpriced.

All o you people that hoard guns and ammo: you are running scared. Get a grip on the reality of when you would use even 1000 rounds per gun.

1000 rounds is not that much ammo. Between IPSC matches and practice I easily shoot 500-750 rounds a month.

If you fight with the Government you are guaranteed to lose.

No argument there.

If you fear a fight with your neighbors, you are living in a fantasy world. It is a form of paranoia.

All it takes is one natural disaster for society to start breaking down. Do you remember Katrina? However 50-100 rounds most likely would be enough to protect your family until order was restored.

You don't have to agree with me. But this country is being driven by levels of fear I have never seen before.
Yes but there is basis for some of it. Just look at what happened in Connecticut today.

dinosaur

troublemaker
DHS ordered 1.9 billion rounds for 'federal use'. Federal agencies use about 15 million rounds per year, so DHS purchased enough for the next 107 years.
I just refuse to believe this. The DHS did not buy 1,900,000,000 rounds; you and every other taxpayer did. You just didn't have any say in how the money was spent.

There is also the genuine likelihood that they are aware, being a government branch, that pending legislation or current political agendas will drive the price up or completely eliminate the manufacture of said rounds.

ppine

Forester
Political uncertainty creates fear in people regarding guns. The NRA adds a lot of fuel to the fire and amps up the rhetoric.