So...2012=Doom?

Little Kitty

I do not believe the world will end on that date this year. Hey, I might be wrong, who knows? I just wanted to hear some thoughts on this idea. I would rather live my life without worrying, because when it is your time to go, you go.

Lorax

I'd say we could always go ask a Mayan .......if we could find one.

Seems that a culture that couldn't see their own demise couldn't possibly predict the end of time.

So I'll keep right on planning those future trips and adventures.

SpencerT

I don't think it will end and it doesn't seem like it will in the near future. Natural disasters will probably continue to be more frequent and more disasterous. I do enjoy seeing articles and movies on the whole concept. It's just interesting to me with all the theories.

jason

fear no beer
I'm often reminded of the attached image. While I admit to being no expert, there are some who say we have gotten their date wrong, and others that say it is not the end of the world, but more of a change in how we perceive the world, live in it, and so on, for lack of the right words.

Attachments

catspa

I think a big reason the disasters seem more disastrous today is their effect on dense human population centers, combined with the speed news travels. When an avalanche happens way back in the range, it's not much of a story, but let it get close to a ski area...

Good point, Jason. Lorax has it right - if we're looking for credible predictions, we should look to people who saw their own trouble in time to get out of the way.

Parker

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I think a big reason the disasters seem more disastrous today is their effect on dense human population centers, combined with the speed news travels. When an avalanche happens way back in the range, it's not much of a story, but let it get close to a ski area...

Good point, Jason. Lorax has it right - if we're looking for credible predictions, we should look to people who saw their own trouble in time to get out of the way.

Parker
Agreed on both counts. Although they did find some mayan ruins in north Georgia recently, apparently built after they left Mexico.

I just wish it wasn't supposed to be so close to x-mas. I'm going to be mad I spent the last three weeks of my life stuck in shopping malls, as the world crumbles to pieces underfoot.

But like anything else, the mayan predictions were based partly on religious beliefs, and when has religion ever produced anything in the way of definitive, correct prophecies? Religions are born of not understanding how the world works, serve their purpose through myth and legend and die off for some reason or another. But no creation or destruction myth has ever proved true. Doubtless the Mayan calendar will reset to the next long count, and we will all be standing around looking at each other like we did on Jan 1, 2000.

jason

fear no beer
I follow Edgar Casey to some degree. He has had some solid predictions. The problem I see with any predictions is it allows us to change. I can say in 100 years oil will be $50 a gallon, but if people listen to it, and work on ways to reduce their dependency on oil, to the point our view on oil is not true to 100 years from now, was I wrong?

Grandpa

Things has gotta change but mankind will go on for a long time yet. We've already signed up for the 2013 Bowling tournaments.

Bella Rae

Jason, that picture is too funny! I always think that, too! I mean seriously, your going to run out of room at some point, right? I think if anything happens, it will be more of an enlightenment. Hey, maybe we'll learn how to levitate items. We only use a certain percentage of our brains, maybe humans will unlock hidden talents in 2012. I like to think of things on the sunny side, instead of worrying when doomsday is.

Lamebeaver

If anyone thinks the world's going to end, i will e happy to buy your house and/or car for 1/10 it's actual value....I'll pay you right now....property to be delivered January 1, 2013.

That way, you'll get to spend the money before the world ends...or not.

CozInCowtown

This is what I have to go by:
Matthew 24:36
[ The Day and Hour Unknown ] “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't think it has anything to do with religion. There have been some prophets who have been uncannily accurate. I think it is a matter of interpretation.

Edgar Cayce was interesting. So was Jean Dixon. But the last notable prophet was probably Nostradamus. He predicted 9/11. Of course New York did not exist at the time and he called it "The New City". He said that a Persian prince would rain down fire from the sky in the first year of the new millenium. Unfortunately, the people interpreting it weren't mathemeticians and figured New York would be bombed in the year 2000. None of them apparently went to grade school where they teach you to start counting with the numeral 1. And they figured it would be a nuclear weapon, not something as simple as a rogue aircraft.

But Nostradamus made further predictions that go well past 2012. They are an interesting read. The Mayans, for all of their advanced culture were still quite primitive and also believed that hacking out someone's still beating heart would somehow appease an angry god. And why should we lend credence to a rock wheel that serves as a calendar? Maybe we just haven't located volume II.

Nothing is carved in stone (pun intended).

Lamebeaver

I don't think it has anything to do with religion. There have been some prophets who have been uncannily accurate. I think it is a matter of interpretation.

Edgar Cayce was interesting. So was Jean Dixon. But the last notable prophet was probably Nostradamus. He predicted 9/11. Of course New York did not exist at the time and he called it "The New City". He said that a Persian prince would rain down fire from the sky in the first year of the new millenium. Unfortunately, the people interpreting it weren't mathemeticians and figured New York would be bombed in the year 2000. None of them apparently went to grade school where they teach you to start counting with the numeral 1. And they figured it would be a nuclear weapon, not something as simple as a rogue aircraft.

But Nostradamus made further predictions that go well past 2012. They are an interesting read. The Mayans, for all of their advanced culture were still quite primitive and also believed that hacking out someone's still beating heart would somehow appease an angry god. And why should we lend credence to a rock wheel that serves as a calendar? Maybe we just haven't located volume II.

Nothing is carved in stone (pun intended).
The "predictions" of Nostradamus have been very loosely interpreted and changed to fit the 9-11 scenario after-the-fact.

Did Nostradamus Predict 9-11? (cont.)